The Battle of Rondel

The Lieutenant checked his pocket watch... Two minutes. Most of everyone in the trenches were reciting prayers and litany's. A man with three rank chevrons on his right shoulder indicating he was a Sergeant, had a Vox caster on his back. Two minutes before the order was to be given. The men thought it was just a normal day, and which it was for the past few weeks of shelling of the city. No one really had attempted to break out other than a group of Mages with a foolish man leading them. Everyone didn't know they were going to be heading over the top. To be honest they could stay on open ground with little consequence. Most of the skilled mages died in the bombardment and skirmish. 

"They will never see their city again after this." The vox caster crackled.

The code words echoed through the trenches, but the platoon of men didn't know what was meant by them. Words without meaning? The lieutenant unsheathed his officer sword, las-pistol and climbed the first step of the latter before yelling.

"NOW IS THE TIME. THE TIME TO KILL. DO OR DIE! FOLLOW ME MEN." He roared as he climbed over the top B-lining it for one of the many bridges that lead into the city. Most of the Officers had received orders to let only one squad at a time cross the bridge because some; In Callahan's words 'Some dickhead mage might blow the bridge up and all my men with it.' The Officers were yelling at their NCOs to make sure they got the message and they did. Squads quickly and carefully crossed the bridge twenty men at a time. Eventually Companies were inside the city.

Kriegsmen had surrounded the city, except in places they couldn't cross the river. So hundreds of men were flowing in on each side. The remaining people of Rondel fought to the death. However Krieg had trouble with mages. 

"Die!" A mage shouted as he held out his staff and electrocuted a few Kriegsmen. 

"How many of these fuckers are their?" A militia man asked as he ducked for cover from incoming Las.

"I dont know, but we have to keep fighting. They will get to the women and children if we don't!" The mage was trying to fear some of the Soldiers into counter charging.

"YOUR RIGHT WE MUST PROTECT THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN! CHAR-" A milita leader fell to the ground. His upper half blown to pieces by a heavy bolter. This time the mage was in cover with them.

Mages could barely deflect Las, and Autogun rounds. Bolters were just to much. And a heavy Weapons team set up a few in a shelled out building. Unleashing death for a coupe of blocks as it was a high building. In a old church to gods of Falmart a mortar team was giving close fire support. Platoon vox casters were busy transmitting coordinates and directions to Mortar teams around the city to give any reports on the fighting. 

"GO ON! FALL BACK TO THE TOWN HALL, ILL ACT AS REAR GUARD. GO" The mage stood up casting some of his strongest protectiong magic against the Heavy Bolter positions. 

It didn't take long for a vox man to call in a Mortar barrage on his location. But it was to late, the small group of Militia escaped. The bolter, Las, and mortar fire stopped. A few Kriegsmen came out from behind cover.

"He is mine boys." A Private began to rush her with his bayonet. 

He dodged the strike causing the private to eat dirt, she sent a bolt of lighting his way killing him. Two more began to rush them. His staff stomped the ground causing two rocks to go with unmatched speed breaking their or severely wounding them. But a Kriegsman came from behind and hit her with a spade. His shovel plunging into her neck. Finally stopping at her abdomen the Kriegsmen pulled it out she. She fell to the ground some of her organs seeping out behind the blood. A platoon of men began walking over the bodies of the dead defenders, marching towards the final objective. A few tanks and Chimeras following them closely.

The only place to be spared was the Town hall, Mortar fire ceased as the last of the defenders were either killed or retreated into the hall. Hundreds of men surrounded it on all sides. Heavy Bolters, Auto cannons, Plasma weapons, and some Rocket teams. All weapons were aimed here, even the OP please nerf Artillery cannons miles away. 

"Surrender or die!" A large vox cast came from Callahan in a transport truck. 

It took a minute for someone to respond as the Chain of Command for the defenders was messed up beyond repair. They couldn't salvage this battle even if they thousands of warriors inside that building.

"WE WOULD RATHER DIE THAN SURRENDER YOU SWINE. NO RETREAT, NO SURRENDER TO HERETICS." A voice yelled back.

"So be it. Get the Flamer teams up here and light the building on fire. Kill anyone that tries to leave the building." Callahan ordered for Tullin to broadcast

Tullin simply nods and starts transmitting the orders quietly. A few flamer teams began marching up from behind Callahan to the large killing field that Callahan had that surrounded the town hall. Flames started spewing from their weapons. Setting the building on fire with hot promethium. The screams of women and children echoed out. A few of the men made a break for it. But their was no where to run. They were subsequently shot. The Kriegsmen started cheering. Callahan could've done this in a day or two. But he wanted the spectators that were obviously watching the battle to no matter how far they were from them. He could always just shell them from a dozens of miles away. They wouldn't even see death coming. Callahan made sure to leave a few survivors to tell the tales. He made sure they thought they had escaped him. But no, he knew. He could've killed them then and there. But he didn't