Curses of the Crowd

Hundreds of Artillery Batteries of varying sizes and caliber were all pointed at one target

Hundreds of Artillery Batteries of varying sizes and caliber were all pointed at one target. The walls of Saderan. The Capital was one of the last strongholds of any sort of resistance. Their were a few more inland but they were of a little consequence. The Imperial Navy would run airstrikes on the small cities. Everyone would either come to one of the Krieg work camps or starve. The Capital of the Empire was the only semblance of order left in what everyone was calling 'the old world.'

For the most part the trenches were empty. With the exception of a few sentries left in each section of the trench. Everyone was a few hundred yards behind the frontlines. At the support trench. Grabbing food. It was lunchtime and everyone was scurrying about to grab their food and head back to there post. Hours passed and the hustle began to die down. Everyone was back at their trench. Well everyone except for 1st Company, Callahan's own.

Jenkins and Aurelius now newly promoted Lieutenants were in the front with the Company Commander. Captain Mcknight. Everyone was at a large parade ground outside the trenches. Their were a few horses and Chimeras lined up in what seemed to be a convoy. A majority of the guardsmen were new. 1st Company had taken some of the worst losses over the course of the campaign. Why? Because Callahan and in affect the entire Brigade relied on them to get things done better and faster. They almost always were the first into battle or being used for special assignments. 

Callahan and Dane took a few steps near the general directions of Jenkins, Aurelius and Mcknight. Callahan walked forward but with his mask and helmet off revealing a few light scars on his face. Not many people in the Death Korps see each others faces despite being so close. It was kind of a sort of a sign of friendship. Callahan spoke up.

"Alright idiots. We- you guys are going to be Dane and my escorts into the city." Callahan said.

"Shouldn't it be easy sir, we are keeping you in the Chimeras right?" Jenkins asked.

"Yeah I thought that to. But Dane wants to be leading the column on the horses. Some ancient terran tradition about triumph or something." Callahan said.

"Sir with all due respect are we going to let a thousands year old tradition decide whether or not the lead fucking inquisitor gets assassinated or not?" Aurelius asked.

"The Emperor is thousands of years old to. Shut your face." Mcknight butted in.

"Yeah that. We put our lives in danger everyday. Some of us even has gotten the Terran star. So going through a cobblestone jungle full of hostile insurgents should be easy for us." Callahan stated.

"Sir I just think he is stating the Tactical precariousness of the situation Dane is putting herself in." Aurelius said.

"What- I mean Yeah thats it." Jenkins added on.

"Doesn't matter. Get your Company ready now." Callahan said sternly.

"Yes sir." They all three said in unison.

"Aurelius, Jenkins brief the NCOs. Im gonna assign each platoon a Chimera. Lets get this over with." Mcknight commanded.

Each of them nodded and headed in a separate directions quickly briefing and giving out orders. Within a few minutes Every platoon was given a Chimera and an angle to guard. McKnight was going to attempt to set up moving kill zones. The whistle blew and the convoy set out towards the main gate of Saderan.

The guards once realizing a group of Kriegsmen were heading their way made ready for battle. They were nervous. They knew they were going to die if they stayed and fought. But that was better then being worked to death in one adamantium or promethium mines. But they were surprised as fiery death did not come to them.

"HEY WE HAVE AN INVITE. FOR THE BALL! LET US THROUGH!" Dane shouted.

The two guards looked at eachother. Thats right their is a ball tonight. They sent out some men a few days earlier to invite them for whatever reason. Upon realizing this revelation. The two guards scurried to the mechanism that opened and close the gate. The gate soon opened for the convoy. The convoy rode through it with ease. Chimeras with Bolters and Kriegsmen on top. Surprised citizens look onto them with contempt. They were hated by almost everyone. They had killed hundreds of thousands perhaps millions and sent many a relative to a work camp. A few shouts came from the crowd.

"Sons of Whores!" The crowd shouted.

"Bastards!" The shouting became more and more sporadic.

"Fuck you and your mothers." Jenkins shouted.

Any shouting that the Kriegsmen uttered back was drowned out by their gasmasks and the roar of the crowd. It was a few minutes before they had reached the Imperial Palace. Carriages were lined up outside awaiting the approval for entry. 

The outside of the palace was bustling with men and women

The outside of the palace was bustling with men and women. But once the Convoy showed up. Everyone stared in disbelief. The Kriegsmen actually came. Many pointed and whispered but no one attempted to talk. The Majority of the convoy went to the side and parked the Chimeras. Dane, Callahan, Jenkins, McKnight, Aurelius, and Vox Operator from 1st platoon began walking into the large palace. Unsure of what would await them. 

Authors note; Think you for reading. Im dreaming up another series. It will take place in the world of Halo. It will follow a group of Marines and their adventures. It wont be a long series unless I have some people from my comment section help me brainstorm. But regardless be sure to comment, favorite, and follow to see any future works. Also be sure to check out my current works. I'd like it if Silver and Steel got more attention but its whatever.