Chapter 32 - Distance

🎶 Jaan Nisaar

Published on 13.06.2021

● A U T H O R ●

Vihaan and Aarohi reached home. They hadn't spoken a word to each other neither spared a glance. For Aarohi, nothing of that sort was supposed to happen...ever and for Vihaan, it felt as if once again he was on the verge of losing his happiness.

"Do you regret it?" He asked softly, pulling her back slowly by her arms when she started to move away from him.

"Vihaan, I- I honestly, I- "

"Do you regret it Aarohi?" He asked again intervening her rambling.

Aarohi exhaled sharply before answering. "I- I don't know," she replied honestly.

He left her arms and turned her around gently by her shoulders. Holding her chin, he made her face him, their glossy eyes meeting each other as a whirlwind of emotions swirled in them.

"It was just a weak moment," Aarohi whispered but the way her insides churned at the statement made her feel as if she was lying, bluntly and clearly.

Vihaan clenched his jaw as he looked at her in betrayal. "It wasn't a weak moment," he rebuked her in a low yet firm voice. "Aarohi," he breathed out, "I have feelings for you. I- I like you. Maybe even more than like," he confessed looking at her in concern as she stared at him unblinkingly and remained rooted in her spot.

Her lips parted in surprise and all of a sudden everything felt too much to take in. How was she supposed to react? This is why she hates when unexpected things happen to her because she loses her ability to accept and deal with them. This is why she likes when things are planned but can she blame him here? If she wanted she could have stopped but she didn't. She never thought about her growing feelings towards him because she was scared her mind would play games with her, warn her how in the end all good things end and force her to stay away from Vihaan reluctantly.

"Why?" Aarohi inquired in a small voice, gazing at him languidly.

"What do you mean by why?" Vihaan let out a humourless chuckle. He held her face in the cradle of his palms and said, "You don't choose whom you want to feel for. I've fallen for you and that's the truth. I like you the way you are. I love the person you're and I want to be with you forever."

Nervousness and panic kicked in Aarohi as Vihaan uttered those words. He was dead serious and that terrified her. "Don't Vihaan," she shook her head and caught his wrists, "Let's stick to what we had decided when we got married. Let's not make it complicated." She said weakly as she pulled his hands away.

"Why Aarohi?" He interlaced his fingers with her. "Times change. People change. Equations change. You feel for me too, don't you? Then why not take it forward? And if you didn't want to do anything with me then you shouldn't have let me come close to you. We both broke the rules that we had made ourselves. I'm not telling you to reciprocate to my feelings but atleast don't deny them. You can take as much time as you want but please don't ask to go back. Please," he pleaded pressing his forehead over hers.

Swallowing the lump in her throat, she untangled her fingers from his and brought him to his chest, pushing him gently. "It won't go well," she mumbled as he looked at her brokenly. "Why would you want to risk what we have between us now? I don't want us to be heartbroken later regretting over this." She casted her gaze down and sniffled.