Chapter 28

Hunter watched as his friends faded into the crowd, keeping to the stone path cycling the courtyard. The clearing would soon fill, and as Elias said, the gates would close and the King would make his appearance. He could see the balcony from where he stood; a banner of a roaring lion hung from the balustrade. He sneered at the symbol. But pushing the hatred that threatened to cloud his judgment, Hunter took survey of the Royal Guards. They were stationed at the balcony's ends, the stairs leading to the platform sealed by more pompous gold suits. The castle gates might be open, but the castle was far from open to the loyal subjects that sang the praises of their King.

The sounds of a merry jig filtered through the clearing as the revellers aligned themselves into a circle and paired up, moving in time with the increasing tempo of the music. He saw Gavin and Tal among the crowd, laughing as they missed steps of the festive dance. Turning away from them he directed his gaze to the balcony again. Soon the King would appear.

Subconsciously, he patted his vest to feel for the dangers hidden under his cloak. Gavin had procured a set for him, telling him that they were much better than his sword. But Night-slayer was a comforting weight at his hip. It had kept him safe all these years, yet as he cast a look over the crowd, an unease settled inside him. The merchants were missing. The glint of their golden pins could not be seen anywhere. The men Gavin had secured were not among the crowd either.

A wisp of lavender silk and brunette hair moved across the courtyard. He followed the flow of the lavender fabric that seemed to float in its wearer's wake. A slim leg peaked out from the hem of the dress and he smirked when he saw a pair of familiar leather boots. But when she was going to turn to where he stood, hidden against the stone wall, a hand grabbed her and pulled her deeper into the crowd.

A feminine laugh floated toward him. The boy pulled her against his chest as he led her through a jaunty dance. She smiled when he leaned down to say something in her ear and colour burst on her cheeks. A rumbling growl escaped his lips as he contemplated the many ways of breaking the hand that still held her. A small yelp of surprise followed by retreating steps sounded as a young girl scurried away. But the sudden anger that sparked inside him kept his eyes on the mop of blonde hair that pulled her away from him.

The music rapidly stopped, and Hunter whirled to see a procession of Royal Guards making their way to the balcony. The King was draped in Ilaburn regalia and upon seeing this the crowd roared with cheer and applause. He saw his mouth tug into a smile as they mindlessly celebrated his crimes. He itched to draw Night-Slayer and settle this on a battlefield.

Arnoldus glided to the balcony. Dressed in a long fur-trimmed cloak and a golden crown atop his head, he basked in the glory of his stolen kingdom. Hunter watched as the castle sentries stationed along the walls each gripped their weapons. The Royal Guard followed suit, resting their hands on the pommel of their golden swords.

The King was prepared. An attack would be quickly and easily diffused. Hunter grimaced and looked to Gavin. One questions shining in his eyes.

Where were they?

Gavin shook his head and he could feel the world shift under his feet. He was too late again. The merchants had backed out and the men Gavin had secured had likely run off with their coin.

"Welcome Ilaburn and happy Omnium Animarum!" The King exclaimed and the crowd cheered as he smiled at their delight. Hunter felt each word stab him in his chest. "We celebrate the lives that have been lost and the great warriors that fell to early deaths." Hunter's stomach recoiled as the words filled the courtyard. It was happening again, he thought.

"This castle has seen dark days, but you have also seen the city prosper and your lives improve for the better." The crowd cheered and Arnoldus had the audacity to chuckle and gesture to the crowd to quiet down.