Chapter 17

Nini headed to her class after lunch which was the class her and Ricky were working on the project in

Nini headed to her class after lunch which was the class her and Ricky were working on the project in. She was pretty nervous considering the fact that they hadn't talked since the kiss.

If they weren't working on the assignment together she'd be doing her best to avoid him, but she had to push through the nerves and get the assignment done.

Her strategy was to act like it never happened. She just hoped Ricky wouldn't bring it up.

She walked into class to see Ricky already in his seat. That was completely unusual because Ricky is always late to class.

He usually comes when there are only 10 minutes left so for him to get to class before Nini who was always early was definitely out of character for Ricky.

"Hey" Nini said as she sat down in his assigned seat next to her

"Hey" Ricky said and didn't say anything else. He was dressed in a hoodie, and pair of sweatpants with the hoodie covering his head almost as if he doesn't want to be seen

Mrs.Harris walked into the classroom and was taken back seeing Ricky seated before class even started. It put a smile on her face because she felt as if the boy was making progress.

"Nice to see you here at this time Mr.Bowen" she said and Ricky simply nodded not wanting to make a big deal out of the fact that he was there early.

Students started to flood inside the classroom taking their seats and soon enough the class started.

"I'll be giving you guys the whole class period to work on your projects" Mrs.Harris said before going back to her desk and taking a seat.

"Hey Mrs.Harris. Ricky and I decided we wanted to write a song, do you think we can work on it in the hallway? It's kinda noisy in here"

"Yeah that's fine, just take the hall pass with you" Mrs.Harris said and Nini walked back over to Ricky who was focused on writing something out

"Come on, we're gonna work in the hallway" Nini told Ricky and he nodded grabbing his things and heading into the hallway with Nini.

Once they got into the hallway Nini laid everything they'd worked on last night on the floor.

"I brainstormed a few lyrics last night, did you have time to think of any?" Nini asked Ricky

"No I uh there was kinda a lot going on last night" was all he managed to get out. Nini assumed it was because he was caught up with some other girl because of Ricky's reputation but that was far from the truth.

"Oh okay" she said kind of disappointed "do you want me to play you what I have?" Nini asked and Ricky nodded

Nini pulled her ukulele out of her book bag and started to strum the chords the two came up with together the night before.

"So much has happened think of what we've done in the time that the earth has travelled around the sun. Winter, spring, summer and we're back to fall. We've been together hand and hand through it all" Nini sang "That's all I have for now, I'll continue to work on it" she said and looked at Ricky for his opinion but he sat there quiet

"It's bad I know I can start over" Nini said becoming insecure of her work. She'd always been insecure about her song writing and the fact that he didn't say anything wasn't exactly helping her confidence

"No! It's good. It's really good actually" Ricky said "I just I can't believe you're such an amazing singer and writer"

"Thanks" Nini blushed

"Sorry I didn't get to write anything. I just—never mind"

"What's wrong Ricky? You've been off all day. Do you want to talk about it?"

"I don't want to throw my problems on you. I don't deserve to, after all those things I said about you"

"Talk to me Ricky. I wanna hear it" Nini cupped his face and looked him directly in the eyes. She knew her reputation was at stake. If the wrong person saw them in this position it could potentially be bad for her but she didn't care.

There was obviously something wrong with Ricky and despite what he said about her she really cared for the curly headed boy.

"It's my parents. They're...I can't do this" Ricky said and grabbed his bags speedwalking out the doors

"Ricky wait!" Nini yelled after the boy but he ignored her. He started to tell her, and vent about everything that went down last night but he couldn't. It'd show his vulnerability and he hated feeling vulnerable.

The only people who truly knew about his problems with his parents were Red and Ej. He didn't know if he was ready to let someone else into that life yet.

Ricky unlocked the doors to his car and let the tears he didn't even realize he was holding fall. His family life was really taking a toll on him and he hated it.

He wondered why he didn't have loving parents who kept their fights private. Who looked at each other with nothing but love. Instead he had to deal with hearing his parents fight regardless of what time of day it was.

When Ricky woke up he checked on Mike in the next room over and he was a total wreck. It broke his heart seeing his father miserable like that. He hated to leave him but his dad was huge on school so he had to come.

Ricky hated crying but he honestly couldn't help it. He felt like he had no control over his life. Nini was mad at him, his parents marriage has been going up into flames for a while now. Everything was coming to the surface and he had no idea how to handle it.

Nini took a huge risk and followed Ricky out the doors. She'd never done anything like it before. She always sat in class paying attention and taking notes. She didn't even know these doors were open during school hours.

She hoped that the doors would be unlocked from the other side so that she could get back in. If she missed her next period her parents would freak out when she got home.

"Ricky open up" Nini knocked on the car window and Ricky looked at her with puffy bloodshot eyes

A/N
Poor ricky 🥺 he's an idiot with a heart. I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! And tysm for reading. Nini is warming up to Ricky, how are y'all felling about it?