Chapter 5

Sofie pov

I rushed upstairs and went to one of the guest room. Sitting on the floor I finally let my tears fall down. He didn't trust me. After all these years he didn't trust me.

Slut

Whore

Gold digger

Is that it he thought of me all these years? Was I so blind that I mistook the disgust in his eyes as love? Did he really never loved me? Did he always thought so low of me? Could he not trust me?

I wanted to go to him. I wanted to hug him. I wanted to cry on his shoulders. I wanted to kiss him like my life depended on it but I couldn't go. I couldn't move. It wasn't my self respect because for me in love there is no such thing as ego or self respect. Yes, people around me always used to tell me to not loose myself in love but I couldn't help it. I know no other way to love.

It was my heart that ached. It was my heart that wasn't in a condition to hear anything else. I was afraid that if I go to him and he says something my heart wouldn't be able to take it. My heart wouldn't be able to take another rejection.

If I trusted him all this time, why couldn't he do the same? Was I not trustworthy enough? Or was my love not enough for him?

I had slept on the floor and woke up when I heard someone knocking on my door. My happiness knew no bound. Was Xander here for me? I don't care about anything else. I don't care what he said earlier. I loved him more than that. Things like these will not stop me from loving him. I will just hug him. I can't live without him. It hurts so much that it is difficult to breathe.

As I opened the door it was Rose, one of our maids.

"Sophie, Mr Smith has asked me to inform you that the lawyer will be in the study at ten'o clock."

"Thank you Rose, I will be there."

"Sophie, are you alright? If there is anything I can do for you I will be more than willing to help."

"I am fine Rose. Thank you so much for everything. Thank you so much for being my friend."

I just hugged her tight. She had been here since we moved to the mansion and had always been an awesome friend. I was lucky to have people in my life who really loved me for who I was. And now I think, I will be fine.

"Rose, there is just one more thing I wanted to ask of you. Could you please pack my luggage? Just the clothes except the ball gowns?"

"Are you going somewhere Sophie?"

I just gave her a sad smile and nodded. With my eyes bloodshot she seemed to have got the message as I saw tears rolling down her face too. Without saying anything she just headed towards our room.

I took a quick bath and repeatedly splashed my face with cold water to get rid of the redness and puffiness in my eyes. The last thing I wanted to do was look weak. I covered the bags under my eyes with a concealer, gave myself a pep talk and tried smiling as big as I could.

Placing the wedding band on the nightstand, I checked the living room and saw him talking to someone on the phone. I made my way to our room, packed the jewels my mother had given me, and leaving his gifts behind I headed towards the study with my luggage in tow.

As soon as I entered I saw the file lying on the table. How easy was it to believe the photos? Did he not trust me even a bit to ask for my side of story? And the photos! Did it not cross his mind even once that they could be morphed? Or he was so hell bent on leaving me that he picked up the first opportunity he got.

I was standing in the corner with my bags when I saw Xander enter the study. And just then Thomas entered too. He was like my elder brother I never had. We had known each other for six years now. Also he worked as a head lawyer in Xander's firm and was his best friend.

I put on my biggest smile as I did not want sympathy or pity from any of them. Well what am I even saying. Its only Thomas who can maybe sympathise with me.

But from inside all I felt was pain. Emotional pain does hurt physically.

Masking my emotions the best I could I turned towards Thomas amd hugged him. I did not dare look towards Xander because I knew I would break down.

But all the while I could feel his eyes on me.

When I looked in Thomas eyes I could feel he was sad. My brother was sad for me. Did he believe me?

Giving both of us sad smiles Thomas took out the documents and began with my nightmare.

"So, Sophie. Xander here is ready to give you any amount of money you want or the properties."

Slut

Whore

Gold digger

These words kept ringing in my mind. Money? Can his money mend by heart? Can his money really heal all the scars he has inflicted on my soul?

Does he really think all I want from him is money?

"Is this not enough you whore? What else can I expect from a slut and a gold digger like you! I knew it from the start that all you showed was just a facade. Your innocence, kindness, it was all fake. I just don't believe how can I be so dumb."

Yes, he really thinks so low of me.

Words are like arrows. No matter how much you try to heal them, it will always leave a scar. Then should we get a plastic surgery so no one knows? That is what most of us do. We try to hide our scars from the world. But we tend to forget that it doesn't matter how the world feels about us but how we feel about ourselves.