Chapter 14

Xander pov

"Sir, this is about the parcel. It was booked three weeks ago to be delivered to your place. Mrs Smith had personally gone to their office to hand over the parcel."

"This will be it. Is there anything else?"

"Sir Miss Shelly has tried barging into your office multiple times."

"Keep her out of the building. I will deal with her later."

"Yes, sir."

As I disconnected the call my brain finally after three weeks started working again. And then I realised. The first thing I should have done was follow Sophie.

"I am going to the hospital."

Telling Thomas I was about to rush to my car when Clara spoke for the first time.

"No need. I already checked and she had resigned from her job."

"Resigned from her job? Where is she now?"

"I tried contacting her friends from the hospital and they had no idea. She had sent everyone a text notifying them of her resignation the night before your divorce, had attended lunch with everyone in the afternoon and left. I haven't contacted her parents as I wasn't sure how would you like to break the news to them. As for her cousin, I contacted one last week and she apparently had no clue about anything so I didn't bother enlighten her."

"What was I doing for three weeks? I am three weeks late! I should have done everything immediately. Can we cancel the divorce Thomas?"

"Mutually, yes there is a chance but I am not very sure."

As I was about to instruct my PI to find my angel my phone rang. It was my mother.

"Mother, I can't talk right no..."

"Did you divorce Sophie?"

And I couldn't move for a moment. Looking at Thomas and giving him a suspicious look I asked her.

"Who said that?"

"Its all over the news Xander. Tell me what is going on. What did you do to that poor child? She was the best thing that ever happened to you. How could you do that Xander Nathiel Smith?"

She literally yelled my name that made even Thomas flinch who was standing good five steps away from me. And the phone was not on speaker.

And being adressed by my full name, I knew she was angry beyond words.

Everyone in my life knew her worth. Except me.

You only realise the importance of someone when they are gone.

"Mom, listen I will call you later okay. I need to fix this first."

"Trouble in paradise. Is the youngest billionaire now single? According to the latest reports the Smith couple who have time and again set goals for other couples have parted ways."

"Smith's now divorced. Mrs Smith charged of infidelity. It is stated that Mrs Smith had cheated on her husband not once but many times."

"Is power couple not a couple anymore. News of divorce for many couples have been going around but the most shocking is that of Smith's. No one from the Smith's have confirmed the statement yet."

"Mr Smith cheating on Mrs Smith. Miss Shelly, Mr Smith rumoured girlfriend have been seen exiting Mr Smith's office four times in a row."

"Fuck! How did they even know about this? I need to find Sophie, these people will eat her alive!"

Taking out my phone I called my secretary.

"Mr Smith."

"What am I paying you for? Pull down all these articles and sue them for defamation."

"Xander, call your PI and also call her parents."

"I am not calling them Thomas. I am flying to San Francisco. If she is there with them, I need to bring her with me."

"As if she is coming with you."

"What kind of friend are you!"

"A friend who doesn't lie. I am just stating the obvious."