Chapter 50: I want you to be happy Laila

Jeremy POV

Laila's the only one who can make me break down. 

But being in her arms, her caressing me and comforting me, I missed this warmth. She listens as I just repeatedly say how much she means to me. When she had enough, she hushed me and lead me to the couch, stains of tears are visible in her eyes, and just how much in pain I was, there is also an equal pain in the depths of her heart that she keeps hiding from me.

At some point, we both fell asleep while watching a movie, something we'll always do whenever we are avoiding a conversation. I woke up as the credits were rolling, Laila's head on my lap. I didn't have the heart to wake her up. It's one of the rare occasions that I can see her peaceful face nowadays.

My phone ding, indicating a message notification.

'So how's the plan going? Are you finally succeeding?'

I groaned as I saw the name of the sender.

'Don't you have a business to take care of?'  

'I actually just got off work and am on my way to my fiancée. Was it wrong that I suddenly remember my friend who used me?'

I was suddenly reminded of what I had just done. I just did what I know was right at that time.

My thoughts were interrupted, "What?"

"Sir, I just want to remind you of your dinner meeting." Collin nervously said.

"Fine, I'm on my way back," I ended the call.

Laila was still sleeping peacefully. I tried reaching out to a pillow to put her head in. Laila moved, wrapping her arms on my waist and snuggling her head on my stomach, and mumbling something like, "Five more minutes, stay with me five more minutes love."

My heart made a flip hearing her, "Okay, but you need to get to bed and sleep comfortably."

With her eyes still closed, she got up and raise her arms. I chuckled knowing what she wants and seeing how cute she is right now. I rose from my seat and lifted her up princess style. She wraps her hands on my neck and snuggles on my neck. It seems like forever since we've done something like this. I brought her to her room and put her on the bed. I stayed with her five more minutes before I left making sure to leave her a note.

Halfway through my drive, my phone kept blowing up with Brian's call. I tried ignoring it at first knowing he'll just pester me. One ring was enough for him to know but I'm suddenly confused by his constant calling. I suddenly felt something weird. I stop the car in an empty side street and answered his call.

The moment I swipe on the green button, Brian's frantic voice greeted me, "Jeremy! Please tell me Laila is with you right now!"

Laila?

"She's at her house sleeping," I slowly answered him, though it may sound calm, my heart is already racing. 

"What?!" he exploded, "You need to get to her. She's in danger right now! I'm also sending people on her place now."

My chest tightens at his words, "What are you talking about?"

"I can't explain right now but you need to get her out of her place. RIGHT. NOW." he ended the call but the way he made emphasis on his last words freaked me out. 

Without a moment of hesitation, I started the car and speed my way back to her. There are a million thoughts going through my head. I kept running through what Brian said and something about him telling me to get her out of her place seems off. Her place? As I remember, that building was secured and I double-checked locking her door when I got out. What does Brian know?