Chapter 15: don't be unprofessional.

Laila POV

I woke up and found myself leaning toward Jeremy. I wanted to move but can't. He's asleep and his head is leaning down on mine.

My right arm had somehow wrapped itself around his while his other hand hold mine. He must have put the earphone on my ear because just then that I notice music playing. He had the other on his left ear and I can't help but remember this same position we are as before.

Memories I wanted to forget came flooding my mind. I slowly moved away from him afraid he might wake up.

" Earth to Laila" Clarisse snapped her fingers in front of me. She's glaring down at me at what I'm thinking probably because she's been talking and I wasn't listening. "Are you done spacing out on me?"

"Sorry." I apologize. I winced as the hairdresser pulled my hair. 

Back to reality, I'm suddenly reminded of what is happening today

"You are creeping me out. You've been spacing out from time to time since you've got here. What happened on the plane?" She questioned me. I avoided the look she is giving me as I stare at my reflection in the mirror.

"Nothing." I shrugged. "I'm just thinking how good of a friend you are, selling me to one of the designers you want to work with." I flat out pointed out to which she replied with a sheepish grin.

This time she looked at me innocently, "I don't know what you are talking about."

"Clarisse, you made a decision that I should make. How can you agree that I would model for some collection?" It irritates me to remember that the first thing she said to me wasn't Hello but 'You'll be a model!'

She didn't even bother asking how my flight was.

"Look, Tiana said you inspired her for her new designs so I just merely suggest you'll be happy to hear about that and that you may wear it." She said to me after fixing a few loose strands of my hair.

"That's my point. You know I don't do that anymore." if I could only turn my head towards her direction I would be giving her death glares.

"Laila, you'll do amazing plus she'll pay you so don't worry."

"I'm not interested in her money." I flat-out told her. This time my hairdresser snap my head back looking in the mirror because of my outburst I had to turn which caused almost ruin the almost done styled hair.

"Well, just think of it as helping me expand my connection. I may get my own boutique here and I'll probably have to move." I know she's just baiting me. I let the matter drop knowing she'll just go on and on about things to distract me and make me agree to it.

As if I have that choice, one way or the other she'll always have her way. It's irritating at times but I can't say no. Clarisse had helped me so much that every time she asked me a favour I just agree to it.

"We are about to start. Are you ready?" Tiana said in her Italian accent. The hairdresser put on her last touch and helped me get dressed in my first outfit.

It was going smoothly. I had already done several clothes and we have moved to a new studio.

"I hope you get to work with this hot Italian dude Tiana always had to model for her. You'll drool over him." Clarisse said as we walk into the studio.

To my surprise, it wasn't even a model standing there. Not even close to being an Italian. Expectation versus reality is what happened. Both of our eyes widen and I'm afraid both our eyes will fall off their sockets.

"Laila, you are here. I want you to meet Mr Jeremy Malarkey." Tiana introduced which I highly think wasn't necessary as we both know each other well.

"Jeremy? What are you doing here?" Clarisse asked him.

"You know each other?" Tiana now asked. Clearly, she doesn't have any idea of our relationship here.

"That dude just simply broke Laila's-"

"We all go to the same college" Jer interjected, cutting Clarisse off with her usual rants.

I can't believe she almost lost her poise. She obviously forgot that she is still in her field of work. But what really surprised me is the fact that Jer is here.

"That is good. I can expect that this will be easy for the two of you." Tiana smiled as she had just tasted the most delicious food there is.

"Tiana, why is Mr Malarkey modelling for you," Clarisse asked.

"Mr Malarkey and my brother know each other. He promised last time to be my model and I'm lucky that Laila had agreed to do it also." I can clearly see the victory in Tiana's eyes knowing she got what she wanted while Clarisse was the opposite.

There's nothing we can do. Tiana and the photographer brief me and Jer about what we will do. All the while Jer's grin grew wider and wider that I'm afraid it will rip his face while I'm hating everything I'm hearing. Clarisse tried to complain about some things and persuade them to alter but she can't win. She gave Jer a warning look as we are about to start.

"It seems fate wants us to be together love," Jer whispered in my ear as we got in position.

I ignored him as I position myself. The first set required us to use the table and chair for props, I decided to sit on the chair while Jer stood behind me.

After a few shots, Tiana doesn't look satisfied with the outcome.

"We need to try something else. The photo doesn't look good." the photographer told us. "Mr Malarkey, you need to move closer to Ms Condes and Ms Condes can you look at him."

"Laila, don't be unprofessional." Jer taunted.

"Me, unprofessional?" I replied.

That was all I needed to hear. I cleared my head wanting to prove to him that I always took things professionally. That whatever history we have would not bother me one bit.

Maybe it is time to treat him like a stranger. If he finds it amusing to torture me with his presence knowing I never wanted to be near him then I'll just have to show him that he doesn't have any effect on me whatsoever.

I gave him a challenging look before standing up. "Are we ready to shoot again?"

Everyone was stunned by my sudden question. But what surprised them was when I sat on the table and pulled the jacket Jer was wearing made him move closer to me. The photographer liked our position seeing that we are now fully embodying his vision for this shoot.

It was hard suppressing the old feeling I had as we act as a couple just to sell out the set of clothes and represent the designer's feelings for it. It was as if we were back to five years ago when I looked at Jer as if he is my whole universe.

But I had to forget about that. All my feelings. I had to stop imagining things will be alright.

But was it really that easy?