Prepare For Impact

TW: Manipulative behavior

I wanted to make sure everyone was aware before they kept reading.
______________________
I pace my room, thoughts going everywhere. Who was Mason there with? It wasn't his mother. Maybe his sister? Isn't he an only child? Maybe he has a sister and I didn't know. Maybe she's a friend from school. Wasn't that Karson Loyd's girlfriend?

If it was Karson's girlfriend, she and Mason are probably just friends then. Yeah, they're just friends hanging out. He probably just couldn't reach me since my phone wasn't with me and called another friend to get his mind off of things!

Just then, my phone dinged to tell me he had finally charged enough to turn on.

I rush over to it, throwing myself on the bed.

No notifications.

Okay, maybe he just needed space. I did show up at his house at the ass crack of dawn without shoes, it didn't make me look like the best person to come to.

Oh god, I met his Mom for the first time while I was standing on her porch barefoot.

Okay, no. Focus on one thing at a time. Focus on the fact he's cheating on you.

No, he isn't cheating. Is he? Are we even actually together? What the hell is going on?

I throw my phone back on the nightstand to stare at the ceiling, my thoughts still going all over the place when a soft knock on my door breaks my train of thought.

"I'm busy," I yell.

"Emmi, please come talk to us," my Mom says softly through the closed door.

Why do they have to make every moment of stress a thousand times worse? Like seriously, can't you just stop to think 'Wow, I've been a shitty parent and now I've suddenly sprung life-changing news to my teenage daughter! Maybe I should give her some space'? How difficult is that?

"No," I say back, quieter this time with a small pang of guilt.

She sighs, still waiting outside of my door. I roll over onto my stomach to press my face into the pillow.

If I ignore her long enough, she has to eventually walk away.

Or that's what I thought, however, the sad reality came in when my door opened regardless.

My head jerks up to face her, glaring at her while she slowly makes her way to sit at the end of my bed. She just stays there, looking down at her hands in her lap with a sad expression.

"Listen," she starts, breaking the tense silence. "I know things have been hard around here lately. We just need to sit down and talk to you about the arrangements."

Her voice sounds weak, her eyes are puffy. This has been hard on her, too, if not harder. I slowly realize how much her life is falling apart, too. All she knows is how to be a wife.

That realization doesn't stop the anger coursing through every single vein in my body though.

"I don't want to talk to you. I don't-," I stop taking a rough breath while sitting up, turning her scared eyes to my own.

"I don't want to talk to either of you! First, Dad runs off to God-knows-where and when he comes back you just- you just defend him? When he abandoned us! And all you were to me while he was gone was mean! I was here, Mom! I was right here while he was doing his own things and you took your feelings out on a 17-year-old girl!

Do you have any idea what I've had going on? Any clue? Do you know every part of my life is crumbling? Bet you didn't notice my grades slipping!" I yell. Finally.