❥ 11. Serendipity

Serendipity (noun)

Finding something good without looking for it.

♡♡

“Just when I thought Café was our place

“Just when I thought Café was our place.”

The daze of thoughts broke at once. She spun on her heels, eyes registering the man dressed in an Ash grey suit with a white shirt underneath.

He stood at a hand’s distance to her, palms pocketed and lips curved in an inquisitive smile. His midnight black eyes stared at her straight, without wavering down her face. His stance was casual yet his presence screamed power. He was the center of attention for many yet she seemed to be not in the spotlight standing together. The turns of heads were evident, the whispers seemed to fade as background noises.

A slow amused grin played on his lips, eyes shining in confidence. His eyebrow cocked and his chin tipped a little too quiet for her staring Session.
Mahira averted her eyes, she felt her blood heating and rising to her cheeks when she took a deep calming breath to let the blush subside.

“What are you doing here ?”  His question was more edged on concern than curiosity.

Mahira tried shrugging in a reply, she let her eyes wander the length of the place, avoiding his prying gaze. He might not ask her again but his gaze didn’t falter as he tried to find the answer.

Mahira gulped as he said nothing but his eyes spoke all, they swirled with emotions every time she met them unlike hers.

“What…How are you here ?” She broke the silence, her eyes not meeting his.

“Stalking you” He stated and Mahira’s eyes snapped to his. Eyes wide and heart thumping in fear. The memories came flooding to her and her fingers gripped the edges of her kurta tight.

She took a step back from him, taking in his face. The mirth shining on his proof calmed her erratic heart. She sighed.

“I was joking,” He said seeing her panic-stricken face. “My office is just a block from here. I was out free so thought to take a walk here”

Mahira nodded slowly.

“You okay ?” He asked.

Mahira gulped. “I.. I’m”.

His scrutinizing eyes didn’t waver but he nodded once he saw her distant self. She was back in her shell. Mahira didn’t feel like conversing. Her head was full of things today.

“Join me for a walk”  He insisted and Mahira agreed. 

She shifted her bag from one hand to another.

“Let me hold it” He requested and Mahira fervently shook her head declining. “No words today ?”

Mahira felt guilty. “I..just not a good day”