4. HELPLESS

The village government hospital.

Kaleshwari was sitting on her bed with a blank expression on her face. The doctor had just given her some medicines and Ramachandran had gone to make some payments and both of them had said her the same thing and that was to "Keep calm", but how could she? all her hopes were dashed down. Kaleshwari wanted to end this torturous life, however every time she thought of it, the innocent faces of her 3 daughters came to her mind. She had to live for them.

She closed her eyes and her mind wandered back in time, to the day she had gotten married to Ramachandran.

******14 years back: Kaleshwari's marriage*******

"Kani! There you are... I have been searching for you" a woman in her fifties came and placed a hand on Kani's shoulder.

"Amma I had just gone to get some flowers to adorn Kaleshwari's hair"

"That is exactly why I had come for, I had brought these anklets, they will look pretty on my daughter's feet, come let's go together..." 

Both the women walked over to Kaleshwari's room and went in.

"Oh my ! You looks so pretty my dear" adored her mother.

"Amma.... It is nothing" blushed Kaleshwari.

"Kani you have done an excellent job! You sister looks like a Goddess!" complemented the mother. "Here take these anklets, they were your grandmother's...."

"Thanks Amma! The anklets look so appealing" said Kaleshwari as she excitedly took the anklets from her mother's hands.

"Kani go and get your father...let him have a look at his daughter"

"Sure Amma!" said Kani and she walked out of the room.

The mother went and sat next to her daughter. "Kala, look at me.. You are going start a new life tomorrow, a new home, a different family and a new environment..." her voice became heavy with emotion.

"Amma, I will be fine.... " said Kaleshwari as she gently placed a hand on her mom's shoulder. Silence lingered for some minutes when her mom broke it "Kala remember, a woman is known only for her progeny she bears, and especially the male progeny. When I gave birth to six consecutive daughters the society and even my family including your dad treated me like a servant, they claimed I was cursed.... but then, when your younger brother was born my life took a turn, happiness was back in again...."

"Yes I know Amma but......How is that  in our hands? "

"Kala... don't talk like that.... I am sure, as I a your mother I am saying, you will surely be blessed with more than one son unlike me, my blessings will always be with you dear....Here comes your father..."

******End of flashback*******

Silent tears rolled down Kaleshwari's cheeks as these flooded in. Life was different then. Once Valli was born her in laws claimed that she had acquired the curse of her mother, her mother and father and all her siblings had stopped talking to her, except Kani her beloved sister.  Kaleshwari let out a exasperated sigh. She was sick and weary of this world.

The door opened and Ramachandran came in with breakfast. His eyes were tired from lack of sleep. He came and sat next to Kaleshwari.

"Kala, how are feeling now? Here I brought you some food." Ramchandra placed the plate on the table and caringly took his wife's hands in his.

"I don't know how I am feeling, Ennenga I am so sorry... I really wanted to give birth to a son, I don't know what happened..." replied Kaleshwari, her eyes filled with tears again.