5. TEARS

" Actually, we have been blessed with a princess"

The smiles on all their faces vanished as fast as it had appeared.

"Appa are you serious?"

"Yes Valli"  said Ramachandran noticing his daughter's crestfallen face he continued " Now why that long face, you have another sister to play with and you are no more the youngest " said Ramachandran trying his best to cheer her up.

"Vannakam Athan"  greeted Kani as she came out of the house. 

"Kani  Anni, Vannakam, I did not know you were coming today, I am so sorry for making you wait"  

"No, no it is not a problem, I had quiet some fun with the girls, so they said my sister had gone  into labour, is she fine....and what about the...."

Valli cut her off in mid-sentence " Kani Periyamma, Amma has given birth to a girl..." whined Valli as she went to Kani.

"Oh, another girl..... Athan where is my sister?" asked Kani as she knew that Kaleshwari would be heartbroken by this.

"She is in the car"

"Then, why isn't she coming out?"

" Kani Anni, she is refusing to come out...."

"Refusing? why, this is her home!"

"Yes, but she said that as long as this little girl is here, she won't place her foot in our house"

"What!?" exclaimed Kani, "That is absurd, Athan, you take the girls and the baby inside, I shall convince my sister." saying this Kani went towards the car.

An awkward silence lingered. Kayal looked over to Valli and saw that her eyes were filled with tears.  She put her hand around her sister and whispered consoling words to her as she steered her back into the house.

Gayathri stood there, motionless. Inside, she wanted to crawl into a corner and cry her eyes out but on the outside she knew that she shouldn't break. Her sisters needed her. She looked up at her father. He was so pale, that he looked like a whitewashed statue that was never coloured. She went closer to her father.

"Appa can I see my little sister" asked Gayathri trying to sound as excited as possible.

"Sure dear" Ramachandran lowered the baby.

Gayathri was awestruck looking at her face. She had not seen a prettier face before. She gently ran a finger across the little cheek. The girl shivered slightly on the touch. "She is so cute" whispered Gayathri. 

"I know" sighed Ramachandran. "Only if the world appreciated it"

"Appa, stop worrying, the world will have to appreciate it one day." she tried to be as optimistic as possible. "Let us go in Appa, you look exhausted."

"But, what about Kala?"

"Kani Periyamma will get Amma..." saying this Gayathri and Ramachandran walked into the house.

"Vaali! Now stop crying.." Kayal whisper shouted to her sister to make sure her father doesn't hear them. 

"Kayal Akka, leave me alone.. all of you said it will be a boy, didn't you?  I trusted you so much!! Even Appa said that I will have a younger brother...."

"It was just a hope Valli, stop crying please, just imagine what if Appa sees you this sad, won't it break his heart?" Kayal gently pulled her sister closer.