Chapter 6: Pandemonium

He pulls me through the tent flap, where the discussion between the votros immediately stutter to a standstill. They eye Lithen warily, than move their gaze to me, their eyes softening with concern and pity.

I grit my teeth at the pity. I was not a helpless animal!

Jal's face seems to swirl within my vision, his lips almost twitching into a smile but he turns his gaze to Lithen and the amusement disappears.

"One of the nurses was conducting a Maev on Thea." Lithen speaks softly, glancing at me.

A roar answers him, everyone in the tent gasping and muttering something to their neighbor, horrified- and terrified- looks on their faces.

Jal meets my eyes, his face slightly creased in a frown.

"Are you all right, Thea?"

I meet his eyes, lifting my chin as his amber eyes stare steadily back.

"Perfect."

He breathes a sigh of relief, than his face becomes serious again.

"Is she still around? And who was she?" Another one of the votros- Mec, I think- voiced, and Jal tilted his head in consideration at him, his gaze still fixed on mine.

"No. I killed her. And she was an..." Lithen's confident voice trails off for a second.

"A what?"

"An Imper."

His reply sent pandemonium through the tent, with people leaping to their feet and starting to glance around with wild eyes.

"EVERYONE SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN!" Jal roars, raising his hands. The hubbub dies down, everyone sitting back down, but nervous eyes glared at me and flitted from side to side.

Lithen nods gratefully, and Jal meets his eyes steadily, almost warningly.

Lithen opens his mouth, inhaling deeply. I tilted my head in curiosity, interested for what he had to say. His eyes flit to mine before averting to the dirt floor, almost in guilt.

"And.. I think I should take her away. For safety reasons."

My jaw drops and I stare at him in shock.

What? He wanted to take me away, away from this camp that was my home?

I crossed my arms, shooting him a glare.

So not happening.