𝖎𝖎𝖎. Beyond the Grave

Kathryn always loved school, in the dorky, annoying way it implied

Kathryn always loved school, in the dorky, annoying way it implied. She'd shush JJ in middle school everytime he tried to talk to her. One time, he was so annoying, tugging at her hair and trying to steal her glasses, that she almost threw a temper tantrum right there in the middle of class.

But today, she doesn't want to go.

"Have you sent your early application to Yale, at least?" Billy asks, watching as Kathryn puts on her make-up.

Kathryn bats her lashes, putting the tube of mascara away. "I did. It's not like it'll be accepted, but I did."

"You had a 4.0 GPA, went to summer school..." Her friend frowns at her, nose wrinkling up the way Max's does. "If you don't get in, I don't know who will."

"Coming from the sixteen year old Cambridge graduate, that means something."

Billy only rolls her eyes at her. It's not like she doesn't like being successful in school, she does. Except well, graduating at sixteen makes it a little harder to get a job quickly, doesn't it? She should just push for a doctorate in the meantime. Maybe somewhere closer to the Outer Banks? Being with her brother and Kathryn doesn't look half as bad as it used to.

Kathryn stands up and dusts her plaid burgundy dress off, the fabric hugging her body. She adjusts the white turtleneck under it, and puts on the old combat boots Billy brought with her.

"These are mine," she remarks.

"And that's my top," Kathryn counters, pointing at the lilac blouse.

Billy shifts a little. When they lived together in London, exchanging clothes became like second nature. The closet had no definite sides, it was just their clothes. When Kathryn left for Kildare, she brought some of Billy's stuff, and left some of hers behind.

Billy hands her a Vivienne Westwood pearl necklace to complete her outfit as Kathryn gathers her curly black hair in a half up-do, tying it with a black bandana she hadn't seen before. "Who's is that?" she asks.

Kathryn rolls her lips in her mouth. She had been tentative about JJ around Billy. Around anyone, really. She doesn't want to delve into it, because if she does, questions will be asked, and Kathryn hates questions.