𝖝𝖛𝖎𝖎𝖎. No Alarms & No Surprises

Kathryn lost weight again

Billy isn't sure how it happened – well, she knows how it goes. But this was exceptionally fast, which made it all the more worrying. The days since John B was thrown in jail bled together, somewhere between Friday and Monday, she's not sure she's seen Kathryn eat.

But as she fastened the pretty bow atop her baby blue shirt, right between her bony shoulder blades, it hit her like a brick. Kathryn likes fitted clothes, the kind that stick to her like a second skin. Maybe that's why it's so obvious. It's not like she can tell her about it.

Kathryn stopped talking altogether.

Once Billy is done, she sheepishly puts her hands on Kathryn's shoulders. She shies away from the touch, and she brings her hands down in defeat. The red bracelet on her wrist should have been a warning.

"They can't do anything that bad," Billy says softly as Kathryn puts on her glasses. "He's seventeen, he doesn't have a record, and people on the Cut love him. They have more reasons not to do anything dire. And then, we'll have all the time in the world to exonerate him."

But she doesn't say what Kathryn knows all too well. Whatever John B has going for him, the one thing against him might just be enough to take him down. A fact he's already been beaten up for.

He killed a cop.

Billy says nothing more as her friend sends a pretty piss poor excuse of a smile her way.

"You guys are ready to go?" Max asks, poking his head into the room. "Henry started the car. He's waiting for us."

She looks at her brother with a pained face, head tilting towards Kathryn. She's staring out her window, down at the car, anxiety eating away at her stomach. Max can only stare back, as hurting as she is. There's nothing they can do about it right now.

"Yeah," Billy breathes out. "Let's go."

She holds out a hand for Kathryn, giving her the choice. She doesn't take it, but smiles again, as a 'sorry'. It wasn't needed, not for Billy, but she still felt the need to do it.