Checkup

A/N: IMPORTANT!!! This chapter has not been updated yet. There may be some continuity errors with the previous chapters.

The next few days were largely the same. Daniel was needing less sleep and starting to eat semi-solid foods. Amarvus took full advantage of his newfound knowledge of Daniel liking his head touched. He played with Daniel's hair often, brushing it every chance he got. Amarvus also started to play games with him. There were many toys and games stashed in Daniel's room. The board games were interesting, even if Daniel had to have everything read to him. The best thing so far had been visiting the upper decks to look outside. Daniel was in awe at the sight of space all around them. It was beautiful. They ended up staying there for at least an hour the first time, Daniel seated in Amarvus's lap. At one point, Amarvus pointed out one of the lights. "See that one? That is my home. We should land there in the next few days."

"Wait, we're going to your home?"

"Yes. The ship needs to refuel. And we still need to find out where you are from. As soon as we do, I promise we will take you back to your home."

"Ok, cool. I've never been on another planet before."

"Well, then I will have to show you around some. It is a beautiful place."

"I would like that."

~

One morning after breakfast, Amarvus sat Daniel down across from him with a serious look on his face. "Daniel, there is something I would like to ask of you."

"Sure, what is it?"

"A coworker of mine has an opening to get a scan done of you. I need to take you eventually, but you seem to be ready for it now. Would you be alright to go?"

"Uh, ready?"

"I just do not think you would panic."

"Oh, yeah sure. That sounds fine."

"Wonderful, I will let her know." He ruffled Daniel's hair and went to send Ihina a message.

A few hours later, Amarvus took Daniel to Ihina's office. He decided to carry Daniel there, as it was quite a walk. Amavrus knocked on the door before he was let in. Daniel did a double-take when he saw her. He expected something similar to Amarvus but was instead greeted by a cat-like creature covered in feathers. As soon as Ihina saw Daniel, a big grin spread across her face. "Well, hello again little guy! You look like you feel much better. Is Amarvus taking good care of you?" Her voice was as soft as Amarvus's but had a more bubbly tone to it. Something about what she said stood out to Daniel.

"We've met before?"

"You were asleep when you were first brought here. I had to scan you to make sure your insides were ok."

Amarvus stepped in, "Daniel, this is Ihina, she will be scanning you today." She gave Daniel a little wave, still wearing a sweet grin on her feathered face.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you. And yes, he's been treating me well." Daniel turned shy at her height, about the same as Amarvus. He felt like a child with these two towering over him.

"Hi. Are you ready for the scanner sweetie?"

"Yeah, I think so. What is it going to do exactly?"

"It just lets me see your skeleton and other things without hurting you. You will not feel a thing."

"Oh, that's ok."

"Yay! Ok, Amarvus, can you put him on the scanner for me?"

"Yes. Daniel, may I?" He let Amarvus pick him up and place him on a table and asked him to lay down.

"Ok sweetie, I am going to have to adjust you a bit. Is that ok?" Daniel nodded. She adjusted his arms and legs until she seemed satisfied. "Alrighty, I am going to pull the lid down now." She pulled a handle that Daniel hadn't even noticed before. He was thankful he wasn't claustrophobic as a lid came over him. "How are you doing in there sweetie?"

"I'm ok."

"Good. I am going to start. Just close your eyes and hold still. Holler if you need me to stop and Amarvus will let you out." Daniel heard a noise for under a minute, then a second after it stopped, he heard the lid being pulled up.

Amarvus was there to pick him up. "Hello, how are you feeling?"

"I'm fine."

"Wonderful, you did so well dear."

Ihina walked up to them, "Yep! You did great! Here's a little treat for doing so well." She handed him a small piece of what looked like taffy. It tasted sweet, like it was trying to imitate some fruit he had never tasted. "I need to borrow Amarvus for a minute. We will be right back, ok?" Daniel nodded. "Great."

~

"Is something wrong?"

"Daniel's fine. It's about another patient, Ghantin's. He's been terrified and aggressive ever since he's gotten here. Ghantin hasn't been able to get near him. He doesn't know what to do: he's really worried for him."

"What does he need?"

"Well, we were thinking he might be friendlier towards another patient. And your Daniel is so well behaved, I thought he might be willing to go and talk to him."

Amarvus hesitated. "I'll ask him, but if anything goes wrong, I'm ending it."

They began to walk back to the room. "Yes of course. Thank you again for bringing him on such short notice."

"It was no trouble. Daniel is very sweet. He had no problem with coming."

The door opened to reveal Daniel standing about in the same place they left him, looking around the room.

"Hello again, thank you for letting me borrow him."

"Uh, yeah, sure. No problem."

Ihina gave him a sweet smile. "Alrighty then, you are free to go." Amarvus knelled down to pick him up. Ihina gave Daniel a little wave. He waved back.

"Bye. It was nice to meet you."

"Aw, it was nice meeting you too Daniel, buh-bye."

And with that, Amarvus took him back to his room.