thirty-nine - "Thank you for loving me."

[ edited ]

Sunghoon brought Yeonbyul to his hotel room, opening the entrance door. It was a premium suite and it would cost half a kidney to pay for the price per night. She shivered due to coldness and hugged herself tightly. The King turned on the heater and took off his jacket, "I'll give you some clothes to change into. Go take a shower while I order food service."

She wanted to refuse but she couldn't say no to food. She sighed and went to the bathroom, locking the door. She looked at her damp hair and took off her clothes, seeing bruises from the guard's grip on her shoulders. The door was knocked and she opened it a bit, "What?"

"Wear this. It's my t-shirt and sweatpants. This is the only thing I could find. We could buy your clothes tomorrow."

By the time she wanted to refuse and complain, he already closed the door. She bit her bottom lip, feeling frustration and anger rising in her. This was not how she imagined it would be. She planned to get away from him but it kept getting ruined.

She walked out with the clothes that Sunghoon gave, holding at the back of her neck awkwardly as she approached him. She gave him her clothes and watched as he hung them outside the balcony to let them dry.

He walked back inside and ignored her, looking at his phone. She lowered her gaze and played with her fingers. She sighed and thought for a while, if I could run away now, I can just open the door immediately and run. Then, he wouldn't have the chance to chase after me. I need to get away from him.

She slowly stood up and sprinted towards the door. The door was locked and she groaned in frustration, pulling the doorknob up and down. Sunghoon approached her and pinned her against the wall, trapping her, "Why do you want to run away so bad?"

She stayed silent and avoided his intense gaze. Her clothes hung loosely on her shoulders, revealing the bruises from the guards. Her feet were also bruised from the shoes and sharp twigs on the ground. He sighed and rummaged through his closet for a first-aid kit.

He patted a seat next to him on the couch and she obeyed, knowing that there was no reason for her to run away because she knew he was prepared with everything. He knew there would be an attempt for her to escape. And she was sure guards were guarding the door to make sure she doesn't get away.

He put her legs on his lap as he wiped the blood off with cotton. She winced in pain as he rubbed medicine on them. She closed her eyes and remembered how Heeseung treated her wounded legs when she escaped the palace at night. How it frustrated her when he kept forcing her to approve the concubine.

"It hurts me to see you getting hurt," Sunghoon spoke up. She opened her eyes and stared at him, "What do you find in me that made you fall in love? I would just be a nuisance to you."

"You would be my favourite type of nuisance," he smirked flirtatiously. Her lips curved into a small smile and she let him do his work. After he was done treating her wounds and bruises, he pulled her closer to him. She wrapped her arms around his neck in surprise, preventing herself to fall off the couch.

He smiled as he admired her face, "You changed. You became more beautiful."

She let go but he gripped her arms to make her wrap them around his neck, "Don't let go."

"I don't understand. How can you not hate me after all the words I spat at you?"

"You think nonsense would make me hate you? I knew you had a reason for saying that. But remember that I don't need you to distance yourself to protect me. I can protect myself and I will protect you."

She smiled and bit her bottom lip nervously, "I'm so sorry."

He chuckled softly before leaning forward. Their lips met each other and she smiled in between the kiss.

゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚
┊         ┊       ┊   ┊    ┊        ┊
┊         ┊       ┊   ┊   ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩
┊         ┊       ┊   ✫
┊         ┊       ✩    
┊ ⊹       ✯

Sunghoon watched as Yeonbyul ate her dinner, smiling to himself. She stopped eating and sighed, "How can I eat if you keep staring at me like that? Have you eaten?"

"Not yet."

"Then why didn't you order one for yourself? Let me call room service," she stood up but he stopped her and made her sit down, "I'm full by watching you eat."

She scoffed and blushed, "Stop. You're making me cringe."

He looked at her, "Marry me."

She choked on her food and wiped her mouth with a napkin, "What?!"

"Marry me. Be the Queen to the North Kingdom. You're not dating anyone but me, right? How about we just get married?"

"But, isn't it too fast? I mean, we just met after three months and you already asked for me to marry you. Sunghoon, I love you but this is too fast for me."

"I have a feeling that Haesun would do anything to get rid of you now that you both met each other again. If you're married to me and live with me, it would be easier to protect you. And we don't have to rush things such as having a baby or anything. Even if you want separate rooms, then I'm okay. I don't want you to get hurt, Yeonbyul. Remember when Haesun shot you with an arrow? What if that accident happens again?"

"The first step to bringing her down is to make Heeseung realise her wrongdoings and crimes. But that would be impossible because that man is whipped for her. We need to get Heeseung to join hands with us but it would be hard."

"Do you know who can make Heeseung turn his back towards Haesun?"

Yeonbyul thought for a while until her eyes lit up, "His mother. He's always obedient towards his mother. We just have to try to talk to her. Let's just hope Heeseung still listens to her."

Sunghoon nodded and stood up before rummaging through his suitcase. He took out a small box and gave her. She opened it and there was a diamond ring in it. It must have cost him a lot to buy it.

"Sunghoon, I–"

He put the ring on for her and looked at her finger, "You didn't push me away when I put it on for you."

"Well, that's because I... Umm... I want to get married to you?"

He laughed and leaned back against the couch.

"Does this mean I'm going to live with you in the North?"

"Of course. Why?"

"Nothing. I just couldn't believe I would be a Queen again," she sighed in relief and smiled to herself.