Chapter Nine

I watch him walk out of the woods with the white horse and I cannot stop my cheeks from turning red. I still am not entirely sure why I lied, about my name, about my fortune and about my image. I think I was just delighted there was someone in the city who did not know who I was, who does not want me for my money or just my appearance. I do not know if I should regret meeting him tomorrow night, sure, it will be exciting, but how will I ever leave the Bridgerton's without them noticing?

I walk back home, and I cannot stop thinking about him, even after I told him I stole a dress, he still wanted to help me. I already imagine myself on the white horse, jumping over the obstacles like I used to, having Christian on the side-line watching me.

Back in my room, I start to create the escape plan, it has to be perfect if I do not wish to get caught. I am in the middle of inspecting my window for possible sneaking out option when someone knocks on my door,

"Olivia? Are you in here?" it is Anthony,

"I am" I nearly finished speaking when Anthony barges into my room,

"where have you been all afternoon?"

"I was out for a walk.. with Colin"

"Colin returned home an hour ago!"

"I told him I would be walking a little further, did he not inform you?"

"Colin informed me indeed, but you must know, Olivia, there is a difference between 'a little further' and 'a whole lot further'!"

"I am sorry, Anthony"

"where have you gone?"

"what do you mean?"

"you know exactly what I mean, when Colin returned home, where did you go?"

"the woods..."

"the woods.. of course... why not? Look at your dress! It was all white when you left! and your hair... someone could have seen you in this state!" oh well how lovely, Anthony worries about my hair.. not even the fact that I could have easily been kidnapped in there,

"it was a dumb mistake of me, and I apologise. But yelling at me will not get the dress back white again"

"make sure it does not happen again, you are the diamond of the season Olivia, everyone is watching you now"

"I understand"

"tomorrow your dancing lessons will start, eleven o'clock precisely"

"do I get a dance teacher?"

"no one has to know how poorly you dance Olivia, Benedict is your teacher"

"I will be there. Thank you"

"see you at dinner Olivia"

"see you at dinner Anthony" he closes the door and I sit back down on my bed, now that will be interesting tomorrow...

-------

Dear Readers,

In three days, the very first ball is being hosted by no one less than Lady Danbury. She will open this year's social season with much grace, like she has always done before, and I am sure our young girls step up their games to be noticed by the gentlemen walking around. Lady Danbury's music taste has always been flawless and so I presume there shall be much dancing and less talking, because what better way to get to know each other than moving in sync.

This author cannot help but wonder who will be the prettiest dancer this season, our diamond, miss Olivia Bridgerton, may be chosen by the queen but will she impress these young men with her dancing too? There has been no dance teacher for the Bridgerton girls, does this mean they are natural talents? Or is the family trying to hide the missteps their new family member could take, considering her vague background...

Other news is coming from a whole other point, one day ago, in the afternoon, two people have been spot. A young man and woman were seen talking in, believe it or not, the woods. It is unknown who these two have been and whether a true scandal has occurred but that is something this writer will surely find out. It would be a massive story to tell, a scandal before the first ball has even taken place. Let us hope for the couple, they are not part of society, and no images will be harmed by this. Because once witnesses start to talk, there is no going back..

I am convinced this will be an interesting upcoming week, we shall see which girls stay standing at their feet in a corner of the room and which will rise to the occasion to find their perfect man. These times are exciting but nerve-wrecking, and you can be sure this writer is going to report every single detail. Be ready...

Yours truly,

Lady Whistledown

My breath stocks, someone saw us, someone saw me and Christian in the woods. If Lady Whistledown already knows, he will I ever sneak out of this house without my own family knowing?! I do not want to leave him there, waiting for someone who never turned up. I know myself, and I am going, but I have no idea whether I will survive.

I undress and take out the dancing gown Anthony left in my room, class with Benedict is starting in ten minutes. I used to dance, a lot actually, but it was never this formal. Just spinning around with the other kids, never to impress someone, certainly not a man. I wonder if Eloise can dance, I wish we could dance together. Just the two of us, no men involved, yeah I'd love that.

I feel hideous in the gown, and I do not understand how I am supposed to move in this but I ask no questions, I leave the room and see Benedict waiting for me already. Even his smile cannot make me relax. And that says something...