Chapter Twenty-two

Louis's point of view

I get myself into the best suit I have, knowing my mother will love it. I dread leaving, there are much better ways to spend my evening than this ball. Unfortunately, I promised my mother and now there is no going back. I say her goodbye and she wishes me luck, which I need.

During the carriage ride, I get more nervous, and reality kicks in. I am entering society, I cannot go back to the stables and I may never see Julia again. I would love to cry, but that is something men are not allowed to do in this society and so I keep myself together. We come to a stop and I take a look through the tiny window, I can hear a little of the music and a bright light is coming from the building. I get out and try to stay out of sight for as long as I can, I could go one pretending to be someone else, I mean, maybe no one will recognize me.

It was idiotic of me to think no one would recognize me, I am the prince of England, of course they see me,

"your royal highness, how lovely to welcome you in our.. tiny.. house" it is the first greeting I get, the woman speaks abnormally loud and the whispers start. I try to hide my disappointment in her and smile widely,

"it is an honor to be here miss" I have no clue what her name is and I quickly move on, trying to become invisible,

"Your highness!" "it's the prince!" "can I ask you for a dance?" the requests get me nervous and I cope with them by ignoring every word they say. I walk away but because I was focused on the ground I did not notice someone and I bump into him,

"my apologies sir" I look up and a man, about ten years older, takes a critical look at me,

"no problem, you are the prince, are you not?"

"I am, yes"

"I am viscount Bridgerton, you met my sister I believe," I think deeply and luckily my memory does not leave me alone,

"I did, indeed, the duke and duchess am I right?"

"yes, Daphne and Simon. How wonderful to see you here, I must introduce you to my sister and cousin. You may have heard of my cousin, she is this season's diamond.." he smiles persistent and no matter how hard I try to open my mouth and tell him I appreciate the offer although I must excuse myself, nothing comes out of my mouth. Before I can adapt myself to the situation he takes me to his sister, Eloise, whom I greet politely.

She is pretty, but I nearly seem more interested in her than she is in me, which makes her more attractive I must admit. I believe she would like to go home just as much as I do. After I met viscount Bridgerton's sister we move on to his cousin, she is this season's diamond and although she must be beautiful I am annoyed by her already. I have not even seen her yet but Imagine her as this want-to-be princess, too full of herself and nearly rude. Maybe it is wrong of me to judge her like that, but the picture is already in my head and I cannot get it out.

"Your highness, may I introduce you to my lovely cousin, who, as I told you earlier, has been chosen as the diamond of this season. I believe the two of you would make an exquisite couple. Olivia, could you please great the prince..." the viscount speaks proudly, yet the young woman does not look overly pleased to see me. She turns around and bows straight away, making it impossible for me to see her face. I take her hand and prepare for her to smile fakely, trying to win my heart,

"How nice to meet you, miss Br-..." our eyes meet, "idgerton..." my breath stocks, not only because this is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen, but because this is not the young woman I expected to see. This is Julia...

We stare at each other for a few seconds until viscount Brigerton breaks the silence,

"Your highness, I must tell you, my cousin is a wonderful dancer..."

"yes, of course, can I offer you're a dance miss Bridgerton?" I ask a little unstable,

"yes.. of course.." she sounds caught off guard as well, which is normal in this kind of situation. I lead her to the dance floor and we stay silent until we are entirely sure no one can hear us anymore,

"so... you are a prince. Or even worse, you are 'the' prince.." she sighs a little,

"and you are in society, and certainly not poor. You are the diamond of this season..."

"I know, horrible if I may say so myself" she looks me in the eyes and I smile,

"trust me, being a prince is not much better"

"why were you in the stables all this time? I mean, you did not need the money.."

"I guess I wanted for someone to see something else than my title"

"well, I think it worked"

"it did? Everyone seems to find the word 'prince' very exciting"

"yes, but I am not everyone, am I? though it is for you to decide whether that is a good or bad thing.."

"...why did you lie?"

"do I need to explain? Everyone wanted something from me, I had all these rules to follow and there were so many things I could not do..."

"I apologize, for not telling you who I truly am"

"Does this mean you are sorry for the time we had together?" she asks seriously and I think for a while,

"no, not at all"

"then do not apologize, your highness.." she makes it sound foolish and I laugh while dancing closely. I expected everything to change, all the attention and rumors around my name, all the girls asking for my hand, and mothers calling my name. Things will change, but the biggest change was her, because she is not whom I thought she was, and yet she is still the same. Her name is different and so is her status, but her smile, her beauty, and most of all her talent to comfort me at any moment of the day, her power to make me laugh no matter how much I fear, and her shining personality, wanting me to be with her every second of the day, it all stayed the same. And I hope it never changes.