Chapter Fourteen

Louis's point of view

She walks up to me in her old dress and for a second I feel bad, she is so talented and she does not seem to have much, yet I am just a regular boy that was lucky enough to be born in a wealthy family. I love how she does not know who I am, but I cannot suppress the guilty feeling that comes with lying, I do not want her to despise me once she finds out.

I will enter society in about three weeks, and I plan on making these weeks the best of my life. I find it odd, how one single person can make all my fears about becoming king one day simply disappear, as if they were never there. She would make a good leader, a perfect one really, she just does not look like a queen to me, but maybe that will change.

She is an entirely different person when she is dressed up as a man, and it is not just the trousers or the high-hat covering part of her face; she truly steps into this role, walking around like she owns the place. Emily gets used to Julia, they fly over the obstacles as if it is nothing. I must admit that I lied, I have seen better riders then her, but they were all male and above the age of 25.

She finishes her round and I clap and yell, "whoo!"

She smiles down and comes over to me,

"and, how did I do?"

"not bad, you would crush your competition you know.."

"guess who would crush me as well? My parents.."

"they do not need to know.." I can see the doubt in her eyes, "but it is up to you, I will just be here to support you"

"I have been thinking about it, Chris, but you have to be honest; do you really think I would get through the auditions?"

"I do not doubt it, most men use their pretty faces or money to get in, yet you got the talent and if you try your best, you will have their respect"

"okay, I will come to the auditions, if I make it through and no one knows who I am, I may actually enter the competition" I smile widely, she had all rights to say no and tell me how stupid of an idea it was, but she said yes...

"deal"

"good, now how do we make sure that hat does not fall off my head?" she smirks and we spend the rest of the night trying to get that hat right. The sun is about to come up and she is about to sprint away when I open my mouth,

"when do I-.."

"The auditions, Saturday, behind the stables. Do not tell anyone please.."

"of course not, your secret is safe with me" she nods and heads off, I hide the clothes and hat in a safe place and return to my home as well, the palace. My mother agreed on me being a help at the stables, me sneaking out of the house in the middle of the night she did not. I am lucky my favourite guard is outside waiting for me, he is the only person who knows, I trust him.

I head to bed swiftly to be woken up way too early, I will not go to the stables, my mother had something else planned she said. Now, I love my mother with my whole heart, but that most likely means I must grow up and act like the prince I apparently am.

After breakfast she finally tells me what plans she has and I am not even surprised,

"today, the duke and duchess of Hastings will visit our home, I would like for you to greet them" I nod, I took a whole day off for a meeting? With.. the duke and duchess of Hastings... whatever reason could my mother have for this? I do not mean to offend anyone, but I do not know these people and I do not understand how greeting them will add something useful to my life,

"how lovely" I try to hide my annoyance,

"I know dear, but this is only preparing you for the many duties you will have later in your life. And in the end, the duke entered society as well, with the same thoughts you had, and look where he is now"

"married? I suppose... kids maybe?"

"Louis, be more respectful please, he found the love of his life despite all the mothers and daughters trying to please him"

"sorry mother, you are right as always, I will make myself ready to meet them"

Two hours later I am standing outside the house, the carriage arrives, and the couple walk over to us. They bow and my mother greets them, whereafter I do the same,

"how wonderful to meet you, your grace" we sit down and one of our servants brings my favourite oven-baked cookies. The duke looks at his wife and not for one second does he takes his eyes off of her until she finished speaking. Her story, about how she experienced society, is interesting, I always wonder how it is on the female side.

Still, I am all ears when the duke speaks with dignity about 'Daphne', she did not even know he was a duke until she was told so, it reminds me of Julia. I remind myself she is not in society, which means she does not have to find out who I am once I make my entry. I start smiling abruptly and the duke looks my way,

"are you okay, your highness?"

"I have no idea, your grace"

"well, I believe you are in love then" he smiles and I laugh over his point, yet it does not leave me for hours. Julia is pretty and intelligent, but I am not in love with her. She makes me laugh a lot, but I am only there to support her, we barely talk now that I think about it. Her riding just fascinates me, that must be it. We are friends, and nothing more. I think.