Chapter 19 ◌ Le debolezze della gente

DAMIANO

DAMIANO

Italy, 2021

Their faces flash in front of mine: Victoria's tears, Ethan's severity, and Thomas' anger. I hit my head and everything goes black, my vision wasn't the faces of my friends but the headlights of the approaching traffic. I want to open my eyes to see what happened, I want to open my mouth to scream for help but my eyes and lips stay sealed. I only see stars twinkling in a dark surface through the skin of my eyelids. 

A shrill sound of sirens comes closer. I feel hands all over me and I hear voices yet I can't understand what they're saying. I try to wake up again but unfortunately, my efforts turn into dust, I'm just laying here on the hard ground, swallowed in my thoughts. Through all the noise I hear Vic's high-pitched voice, I hear Thomas singing, and I hear Ethan's rare laugh. I want to wake up, laugh with them, say that I'm sorry. But a whisper in my ear tells me they're not really here with me. The whisper caresses my ears and warms my heart. I recognize this sweet voice. She tells me there's more pain and weakness in reality than in this feverish dream. She's singing a soft lullaby, I should stay asleep with her. I forget about the strong hands dragging me on a stretcher and stabilizing my head with a neck collar, the plastic cuts in my skin. 

The whisper soothes me, I feel my heartbeat slowing down and my senses fading away. "Torna a casa, Dami" is the last thing I hear.

When I open my eyes, I get blinded by the bright lights around me. I try to sit up but the tangle of tubes and wires keeps me down. My head is spinning, what the fuck happened? I open my mouth but only some muttering comes out because my tongue is so dry, I taste iron. I feel completely disorientated and a wave of panic compresses my other thoughts. 

Where am I? Where are my friends? How long have I been asleep? Why is nobody listening?

Warm tears make my skin soggy, I feel so alone and I don't understand how I ended up here. I can't even remember what happened today, and yesterday and the days before seem so far away as well. I press the red button hanging above me and one minute later a nurse rushes into my room. "Dio mio, io ti conosco!" she exclaims, her voice hurts my head. "Damiano David!" 

I let her words slowly in to process them, so I can verify it's the truth. 

", bu-, but, can you tell me what happened..." I softly say and I look into her eyes, she looks like she's going to faint. "Per favore? " I gently ask.

She shakes her head. "I shall call the doctor to say you've finally woken up, he'll tell you the details," she squeaks happily. I try with all my power to put a smile on my lips and I nod pleased. She runs away and looks back one more time to see that it's really me. But at this moment I am just a fragile guy laying in a bed without knowing what happened, I don't feel like the beastly, praised man I am on stage or with my fans, they always think I am some kind of god but this is the proof I definitely am mortal. And I must look like shit right now.