Part 17

Cooper's POV: 

Shit! Shit shit shit. How does this always happen to me? I was walking home from patrol  and someone called the cops on me.

Just because I was 15 (and a half) and I was walking down a dark road at 1 a.m. wearing all black didn't mean I was a menace! Right? 

A pair of cops had been tailing me for the last three blocks. I was only a few away from my hotel, but if I went in they'd keep following and I'd probably be thrown into CPS. 

I had stayed out of Child Protection Services because my parents kicked me out, so no missing child report ever went out. But if they found out I was living in an abandoned hotel, I'd definitely be dragged there. 

They'd probably also search me, and then they'd find my suit. Then they'd know I was The Shadow. Shit shit shit shit shit. What do I do? 

They had increased the pace and I couldn't speed up without seeming suspicious. "Hey kid! What are you doing out here at this time?" The policeman yelled. 

I ignored him and kept walking. We passed by the hotel, though I didn't dare make a break for it. I just kept walking. 

"Kid it's not safe for you to be out here alone. Why don't you just come here with us and we'll drive you home in our car?" The policewoman asked. 

I heard them whispering. I only caught a few words. I didn't like what I heard.  Runaway. Brat. Home. 

"Okay that's it you're coming with us." The man said. 

He grabbed my arm, but I broke free and ran down the street. I thought I lost them, until the woman jumped in front of me from an alley. Twisting my arm, she shoved me down on my knees. "You should have just came with me." 

I heard rustling from above me. I must have imagined it though, since no one else reacted. The man caught up and grabbed my torso and picked me up. I finally decided to fight. I could not end up being dragged home to my parents.

I clawed at the woman who was trying to grab my arms and hold them down. I kicked with my legs until the man finally dropped me. I went to run, but I was exhausted.

Because of pay cuts, I got less food. I was already exhausted from patrol and school. I felt dizzy, I hadn't drank any water since this afternoon. It's not like I had the luxury of running water in my hotel. 

I stumbled and the male officer tackled me into the ground. My chest hit the cement, forcing all the air out of my lungs. I tried to breathe but he was to heavy. Suddenly a thump was heard to the right of me. 

The police man looked up, and I used it as a distraction to kick up with my legs and crawl out from under him. 

A man dressed in all black was standing over the policeman. He had a black leather tanktop, black jeans and, a bow with arrows, on his back. He turned as I started running, so I only saw his face for a second. But it was none other than Hawkeye. 

I ran for a bit before collapsing in an empty alley. I heard footsteps and got into a fighters crouch, pulling out my pocket knife. 

"Calm down, it's just me." Hawkeye said as he strolled into the alley as casually as you might walk through a park in broad daylight.

"Why did you help me?" I asked as I put my knife away. 

"I have kids of my own. Even if you're a runaway, I wasn't gonna let him manhandle you like that." Clint sat down on a crate that was laying in the alley. 

"How'd you get that cut?" Clint asked. I had totally forgotten about that. My shorts revealed a long cut that had started bleeding again that I got on patrol. 

"I helped someone who was getting jumped in an alley. Someone knifed me." Technically not a lie. 

"You're gonna need to bandage that." He said.

I slipped my backpack off my shoulders and pulled out some AceWrap and hand sanitizer. After I expertly wrapped my leg, I packed my bag back up. Clint watched with impressment. "You do this a lot?" He asked. 

"You could say that." 

"So, are you a runaway, or a criminal?" Barton smiled at me. 

"Neither. Homeless. Some idiot called the cops on me." I sighed. "You're gonna drag me in, aren't you?" 

"Nah, but I do have a question." 

"Shoot." 

I did not expect him to take it literally. 

A knife flew at my head as fast as a bullet. Without thinking, I stopped it in midair. 

"So you are The Shadow. Nice to finally meet you."

Hope you've enjoyed. 

Have a great day!

-TFox