Twenty-five

My brother was out in the garden, dressed in warm clothing and drinking a warm cup of tea.

I walked out with my arms folded over my chest.

"What are you doing out here? It's freezing."

He looked up at me as he took a sip of his tea, then made room for me to sit down, and I did.

"It's beautiful though." He said, looking into the garden.

I took a deep breath.

"Those photos you sent me." I said. "Where'd you get them?"

Carter paused before he straightened up with a sigh.

"I took them."

I turned my head and looked at my older brother, frowning at what he said.

"What?" I asked. "That was over a year ago!"

"Yeah, and I was going to tell you right away but Martha stole my camera and I knew that you wouldn't believe me without proof." He said. "I only got my camera back shortly before I printed the photos out and sent them to you."

I stared at my brother in disbelief before scoffing and looking out at the snow-covered garden.

I wanted to be angry with him for knowing for so long, but I knew he was right. I wouldn't have believed him if he didn't have any proof. I trusted both Felix and Martha with my life.

"How'd you get the camera back?"

"Uh..." Carter cleared his throat. "...Martha sent me the camera. She wanted you to find out but she didn't know how to tell you herself."

Another moment passed before I looked at him again.

"She wanted you to tell me?" I asked. "Why? You're not even close."

I mean, you've slept together but that's a different story.

"Kai—"

My eyes widened at the guilty expression on his face.

"Oh my... no—"

"It happened over the summer. It wasn't just some random hookup. I love her."

I stood up, staring into the garden as I mentally threw up. I turned towards my brother who took another sip of his tea.

"You're kidding me, right?"

"Kai—"

"You know she's been fucking half the school since we went back to school, right?" I asked.

"I know."

"You know?" I frowned. "I'm sorry but I'm rather confused right now. You love Martha? Are you a thing or what?"

"Yes."

"And you know she's having sex with other people?"

"Yes."

"And you're okay with that?!" I laughed.

Carter stood up, turning towards me while he held the cup of tea with both of his hands.

"I know the sex doesn't mean anything." He shrugged. "And she's only doing it with my permission. It's not cheating when I know about it and is okay with it."

"So... you're having an open relationship?"

"So far." He shrugged. "Until she graduates."

I didn't know what to say. My lips parted and then I laughed as I spun around and walked back towards the door.

"What the fuck is going on." I continued to laugh, walking inside.