Ch 13: A Change Of Heart

Lisa POV

His very first words to me after years are so unexpected that they stun me.

Robin: "Perhaps I should have done this sooner but now's a good a time as any to tell you that what you did was unforgivable." He says in a tone that froze the flame in me.

Lisa: "W-What? But, y-your words, you said-"

Robin: "All that time spent with your father must have dulled your senses, as if I could say anything else. At the time all I could do was please you or else you would have gotten your father to do something to me. Like all arrogant nobles with money. But you can't get me here now can you." He says glaring at me with cold eyes.

I crack at each word he says. I-I thought he forgave me, was it really all just a dream?

Lisa: "I-I'm sorry." Are the only words I can think of.

He only looks at me with disgust.

Robin: "What has the word sorry ever done for a person? You threw away the pathetic commoner away all that time ago to enjoy the highlife once your father came into power and you're sorry? All I ever was to you was another servant. Burn in hell with your father when you get the chance." He spits venomously with his expression never changing from slight disgust.

By when it comes to Robin, any change in facial expression means whatever his reaction was is severe. He truly found me disgusting, like I always thought he did.

But what does he know? He doesn't know what I went through, what I'm going through! I'm not just some arrogant rich girl dammit! 

I wanted to yell at him and say he's wrong. But this feeling in my throat stops me from saying anything. All I can do is clench my fists and look down and away from his scrutinizing gaze.

Robin: "Can't stand to even look at this common filth anymore huh? Good, if I could, I would leave the same way you left me in order to never see your face again. But unfortunately I'm in the same class as you, so don't ever look my way again, you don't deserve it." He says coldly.

I wanted, no, needed to say something, anything, but his words and tone were too oppressive. I'm stuck staring at the ring he gave to me as a promise.

He seems to notice that my gaze is focused on the ring, what he said next broke my heart into more pieces than I thought possible.

Robin: "Why the hell do you still wear that ring?" He says freezing any bits of my heart still remaining.

The one thing I still had of him, the one thing that gave me hope, the one thing I cherished the most other than the boy himself, stepped on by his words.

I truly couldn't say anything underneath the pressure he put on my heart.

Robin: "How does it feel to be the one looked down on?" He asks in a low voice.

But I never looked down on you Robin! I looked up to you! You were my escape, my home away from home. You are everything I ever wanted.

Just why couldn't I have said these words before? Would they have ever mattered? How long has he been holding these feelings away from me?

All I can say is sorry, but Robin's right, sorry never helped anyone. So I keep my mouth shut and grit my teeth.

When I said sorry to Robin for leaving him, I gained comfort. What did Robin get? Nothing, I never gave him anything.

Everything he said about me was true, who am I to tell him he's wrong?

I finally work up the courage to glance up at who I thought was my promised one, only to find that he had already left. Gone without another word.