Be a Doll

After reading bedtime story for my boy, I tucked him and pulled his blanket over him.

"Mommy?" he pulled his blanket over his neck.

"Yes dear?"

"Can you check below my bed? There might be a monster there," he said with a soft voice.

I ducked and saw whatever under his bed. There was nothing inside the twilight. Not even any scattered toys.

"There's nothing here dear, as always." I stroked his hair.

"But what if they come after me and make scratching sounds when I'm asleep?"

I paused for a minute, searching for good answer. "Why don't you just sleep and ignore them? Just don't make any noise and don't move. Pretend that you're just a doll. They will leave you alone."

He thought for a moment, before saying "Ok Mom."

"Good boy," I smiled and kissed his forehead. I walked to the door, turn off the light, and closed the door. I went to my own room. My body was very tired from work. Thank God I was already cleaned up myself and in my pajamas. I pulled the blanket beside my snoring husband, and after not too long, I already drifted off to sleep.

I didn't know how long I had asleep before woken up and I felt I need to pee. I was going to get off the bed when I realized my son was standing on the door of my room.

"Honey, what are you doing?"

He put a finger on his lips. "Sssh. Mom. Be a doll."

scratch