Chapter 5 : Negative stereotypes

•Stereotype

~Social psychology defines a stereotype as a generalized belief about a particular category of people. It is an expectation that people might have about every person of a particular group.The type of expectation can vary; it can be, for example, an expectation about the group's personality, preferences, appearance or ability. Stereotypes are sometimes overgeneralized, inaccurate, and resistant to new information, but can sometimes be accurate

A m i t o l a . P O V

Flashback

I got the pain killers for Nate and was now making my way to the elevator to get to the guys apartment but then I saw it open revealing an angry Liam "Liam is everything ok?" He ignored me and walked to the elevator ,I followed him and when the elevator opened he went towards my apartment , he stood at the door and then looked at me "aren't you going to open the freaking door!" He yelled and it scared me a little , I walked towards him , inserted my key and opened the door. He stormed in and began yelling , "Amitola I'm so tired of those guys thinking it's okay to be racist to white people ! They act like them having traumatic pasts means they can insult and generalize all of us!" I
Oh ......so that's why he's angry. I get where Liam is coming from , but I don't think he realizes how he was generalizing them too ,"Liam ,you were kinda doing the same thing" ," oh so you're taking their side too!" ," I'm not talking anyone's side , I'm Just saying that both you and Jeremiah are not considering the other persons feelings and their perspective on all these issues" I said as calm as ever , one thing I was taught is that whenever you're in an argument , make sure to always be calm , it intimidates the person you're arguing with and makes them shut up and right now I needed Liam to do just that , I'm tired of all this.....is it wrong that I find it all.....immature? "I am considering his feelings but he's not considering mine!" He said and it seemed he was getting angrier every second "well yelling at someone to make them understand isn't exactly considering their feelings".

"Ofcourse you'll say that , honestly I wonder why I'm friends with you guys, none of you ever defend me , but why am I shocked , my friends are two black dudes who can steal and attack me any moment , that Asian girl probably has COVID , Konane is nothing but a low life hula hoop dancer and you Amitola, I'm shocked you haven't used Brute force to shut me up , I would expect that from a native American!" My mouth dropped right when he said that , my eyes got wider as I processed everything, how could I have been fooled . Two years , I've known him for two years! And this is when he wants to show his true colors . How could he say something like that about his friends, how could he even think that "Liam take that back" I said trying to control my anger ,"no Amitola, I won't" ," fine" I begun walking towards the door , just when I grabbed hold of the door knob , he grabbed my other arm ," you aren't going there Amitola" , This man. " okay , one ; you can't tell me where I should go and where I shouldn't and two; at least the others won't blatantly Insult me "I opened the door and he immediately slammed it closed "Amitola please don't go to them" I sighed in an attempt to calm myself ,", I'm leaving , there's food in the fridge if you want some" he let go and then I heard a loud thud , I turned around and saw that he flipped the couch over , if he was angry before, he was fuming now.

"Ah!! , I hate all of you so much! , None of you realize that you are all racists , you guys are not okay , all I do is State out the obvious truth but you idiots can't take it! I really envy the people you don't know because they don't have to put up with this!" , " Liam what's wrong with you! Why can't YOU realize how big of a jerk you're being to ALL your friends!" I just couldn't keep my cool Anymore "why am I getting the Impression that you like them more than you do me , or maybe it's just your nature , you know I read somewhere that native Americans are whor-" a loud clap sound echoed in the room , I slapped him. "How dare you! And you really think that you're not the problem here!" Memories of how I lost my Mom soon filled my brain , Liam knows what I went through and he knows how saying something like that can trigger emotions and past memories I wish to forget "go Liam" he just stood there , I looked at him and he looked like he finally realized what he said "I said GO!!" He Left but that enraged look was back on his face . I was not in the right State of mind and before I knew it , I started breaking things ,I just needed a way to let out all of my anger .

End of flashback

Y e r i . P O V

Amitola stopped crying and I put her to bed , the thought of liam doing something unreasonable was Killing me , I was starting to get worried , I had no idea of how to handle this situation and I was left with one option , to tell the guys. I got to their apartment , it was half past 11 right now so I hoped that they were still awake . I didn't have time to knock and just burst right into their apartment , I saw konane watching TV and I was relieved "is everything okay Yeri?" He asked with a curious face ,"no , nothing's okay! Liam's missing" , "what!?" ," It's a long story but I need you to get the others , we need to look for him" ,"where?" I had no idea where we would look for him first "Nate , he's Liam's best friend,he has to have an idea of where he might be" ,"I do" Nate came out of his room , he must've changed into pajamas when I left , they were cute though, they were sage green with little avocados with smil- NOT THE TIME YERIM!!!! "I heard everything, konane get your car keys and wake up Jeremiah" , "do you really think Jeremiah would want to help?" Konane asked and he had a point, they had that argument of theirs earlier, chances are Jeremiah wouldn't care about Liam at all "Jeremiah is too nice , he might be mad at Liam but that doesn't mean he doesn't care" ,"alright then" konane said as he went to wake Jeremiah up.

"So where do you think he's gone?" I asked to break the silence. We were Currently all in konane's car except Amitola who decided to stay , she didn't want to see Liam "our old middle school , he usually goes there to let out some steam , I just hope he won't do anything crazy" Nate said as I remembered konane saying that him and Liam met in middle school ,"we're here" konane said as he parked the car , we got out and walked to the gate and saw it open . We got in and it was pretty dark , Jeremiah turned his phone torch on to help us see ," is there a specific place he would go to" Jeremiah asked "yep , the roof top" Nate answered as we made our way there .

It was cold and windy tonight and when we opened the door to the roof top , a cool breeze hit us as we saw Liam standing by the edge , I then had a bad thought that I hope wouldn't come to life. "Leave......." Liam said , his voice sounded hoarse , like he was screaming all night long "...........I don't want you guys to see this" he continued, the guys and I had puzzled faces , excluding Nate , who looked rather angry ,"Liam if you dare do that I will never forgive you " he said, with a rather stern voice , but he sounded a little scared , why? Liam finally faced us "tell Amitola I love her..................... and that I'm sorry"that made me even more confused, why did he say that and in a blink of an eye it happened , what I hoped wouldn't happen did . Liam fell . Everything slowed down as I saw the guys rush to the edge of the roof top , I just stood there in shock .

Would he survive?