Chapter 7 - Exit Stage Left

They saw it on the screen first, then the sound of rapid staccato fire drifted back to them over the still air of the city.

On the screen, many of those who'd been making their way up the motte had been mown down, but the walkers in the compound below gave voice, the moan amplified by more walkers joining them from the streets and houses surrounding the area of the docks.

Merryn grabbed the radio from her belt. "Sarge, we have a problem. Two groups of people are having a pitched battle to the east of here. One group has deployed a machine gun and every deadhead within miles has started to moan. I'd suggest you get your teams back to the boat. Grab what you can and be ready to leave."

The radio crackled. "Noted Scout 2. Teams, you heard the lady. Back to the boat with whatever you can easily grab. On the double."

A chorus of quick affirmations echoed across the radio waves and Merryn turned back to the screen.

"There's something going on to the north," said Tom, his voice hushed. "Look." At the top of the screen, a few walkers had staggered onto the grassy area surrounding the old fort. The man on the top of the wall had finished off the people trying to climb the hill, only a few managing to run away and escape the carnage. He had now turned his attention to the people inside and was carefully picking off rival gang members, turning the tide of the battle in their favour.

"He's not watching the hill," said Merryn.

"There are more walkers coming from the north." Tom peered at the screen. "Can you check out the street to the north of where they're coming from Merryn?"

Merryn grabbed the controller and moved the drone from where it had been hovering above the fort to head north.

"Oh hell," she whispered again.

The narrow street immediately north of the park was filled with the staggering forms of walkers. Hundreds were making their way towards the sounds of distant gunfire.

"What do we do?"

"We get the hell out of here, but first we need to try and warn those people. They may be scumbags but no one deserves to be overrun by walkers without being given a chance to fight."

Merryn steered the drone back towards the fight, increasing its velocity and lowering the altitude until it was skimming along at tree level, recording the advance of the walkers who had made it to the walls of the fort as it went. With delicate precision she guided the drone up past the head of the lone shooter who reared back in sudden alarm as she sent it rocketing upwards away from the fort so they had a panoramic view of the fort below.

Buzzing the machine gunner had had the desired effect as the man had noticed the walkers and was waving his arms and shouting. He changed his targeting to the horde of walkers below him and opened fire, mowing down the front rank of shambling horror. Others joined him on the wall and fired crossbows, dropped rocks, or shot pistols if they had them.

Hundreds more walkers were joining their fellows and a crowd of zombies now surrounded the ancient fortifications.

"They're doomed aren't they," said Tom, despair in his voice.

"Yes. We can't do any more for them now."

Merryn reached for her radio. "Sarge, you there?"

"Yes Scout 2, we're here. We've got a good amount of stuff despite the limited time we had. Two of the team even managed to find a full set of welding equipment, but to get it on the boat we'll need to start up the motor on the crane. If we do that, we risk attracting the attention of your walkers over there."