Chapter 17 - It Came from the Sea

As Andrew shrank back from the pair of dangling feet, another pair joined them and snippets of a conversation between two men drifted down to them as the trio remained as still as they could.

"... tired, gonna sit here for a moment."

"... pointless, it's filthy out here..."

"Well, he's the boss, are you going to tell him he's wrong? I don't think..."

"... forward to the meal later though. Fresh meat. It's been a while."

"Good job we got those boats going. Was wondering..."

"... seen that fishing boat before. The Boss is concerned about uniforms though. I..."

"Nah, they're probably scavenged... no one left to organise anything. Just random gangs like ours."

"... big guy in the Sergeant's uniform. Lots of meat on that lad."

Eddie's eyes went round in shock and she turned to Merryn. Merryn placed a finger on her lips, trying to hear more.

"...tomorrow. He'll keep. Eat the dead guy first, then the big man. Shame about..."

"Yes, but we can't win them all... that girl though. She's odd. I mean..."

"... worried about the bite mark too. But they're safe in the Verne."

"... some fun with that one later... alive for now."

"Right, we'd better bounce... check on the east side, then get back to the Hotel."

Two pairs of legs lifted and moved on and Merryn listened for a while until she was sure they were clear.

"Cannibals?" said Andrew, his eyes wide.

Merryn nodded, her expression grim. "Sounds like they've picked up one of the dead soldiers and they've got Harper and Hope stashed in the old prison: The Verne. It's on top of the hill, not far from here and right next to the Hotel. It's a perfect spot for anyone trying to control the area, as it has views down the coast to the east and west, as well as over Weymouth Harbour. So, I reckon our pirate gang is in there, and the prisoners are in the Verne."

Merryn looked Eddie and Andrew in the eye in turn. "It's not too late to hang back you two. I can go on ahead alone."

"No," said Eddie. "We're coming with you."

Andrew nodded. "I'll take point."

They moved forward along the wall and soon came to The Sea Spray Inn, its windows dark and courtyard covered in windblown sand and detritus. Merryn motioned around to the side and they picked up a narrow path winding up between two stone walls to the top of the hill. Once there, Merryn peered around the end of the wall. The old clifftop Hotel was lit up, with smoke lifting from several of the chimney stacks. Two guards patrolled outside, and Merryn drew back. "We head east along this path," she said quietly, motioning to another stone-bound path. "That will take us to the Verne prison. It will be guarded, and that's where things will get serious. Silent weapons."

The two teenagers nodded and Andrew moved forwards. After a few hundred yards he held up a hand and Merryn and Eddie joined him.

"I can see one guard," he whispered. "He's sitting on the wall by the entrance gate. Is that a moat?"

"Yes, said Merryn. This is one of the oldest active prisons in England, high security, and built with a single point of entry and bridge over a deep moat. Easy to defend, difficult to escape from."

"So we have to take out the guard?"

"Yes. That's my job Andrew." Merryn hefted her crossbow, took aim, and fired. There was a twang, a faint thud, and the guard slumped forward clutching his stomach. Merryn dropped her weapon and sprinted towards the fallen man, ripping her knife from its sheath. As she reached him, she grabbed his hair, lifted his head, and slashed the blade across his throat. She knelt, head tilted and listening for any signs of alarm. Satisfied nothing was amiss she beckoned the other two forward.