Chapter 29 - Zombie Football

"All Hands report to stations please."

The Cruiser pulled away from the power station's jetty with a roar, Patil opening up the engines in a surge of power as Sergeant King and Mark waved them goodbye.

Darcey was standing at the prow of the cruiser, her son standing next to her with his eyes closed, smiling as the sea spray hit his face as the Coxswain guided the ship to the north.

"So what's the plan Captain?" asked Merryn.

Lily bent over her map and traced her finger along the route. "We'll head north, have a quick look at the islands of Steep and Flat Holm - there's buildings on both islands so there may be some survivors - then we'll head north to Cardiff and see what we can see. After that, we'll head west along the Welsh coast and see if we can utilise Darcey's somewhat unusual skills to find any walkers who might be gathering there."

Merryn nodded. "Shame to see King and his company left behind, but I'm sure they're keen to help Marjorie get those machines back from the deadheads on C site, and up and running again."

"I think the Sergeant will relish the challenge there. That man's a born combat soldier. I reckon him and Marjorie are going to get on well too, she seems determined."

"What's our ETA Patil?"

"About thirty minutes to Steep Holm Captain. Eddie's prepping the drone for a quick fly-over. She'll be up here in a moment."

"Thank you." Lily turned back to Merryn. "We'll do a quick check of the two islands then keep moving."

~

By the time Eddie reappeared and had checked the drone and equipment were working, Steep Holm had appeared amidst the choppy brown waters of the Severn Estuary. Forbidding cliffs rose from the sea, and Eddie launched the drone as soon as Patil rounded the island and slowed the cruiser.

A quick check of the old world war two gun positions confirmed no signs of life and Patil moved them into range of the more hospitable-looking Flat Holm. Eddie once more launched the drone.

"There's a few buildings here capable of housing people, Ed," said Merryn. "There's a lighthouse on the south side of the island with some cottages, and a more substantial house and gardens on the north side."

Merryn looked across at Lily. "This is one of those places that would be good to resettle at some point."

"Noted," said Lily. "Eddie, could you check the south side first, then as Patail moves the ship to the north side you can zip the drone across to the larger house and check that."

Eddie nodded, her attention on the screen in front of her as she guided the drone.

"There are no signs of life on the south side Captain, I'll take the drone north."

"Patil, take us around please." The Cruiser's engines sprang into life again as the Coxswain guided the ship around the island and Eddie steered the drone on an intercept course.

"There's the house," she muttered, I'll check the outbuildings first as they're open."

As Patil slowed the ship and held position in the choppy waters, Eddie moved the drone into a large barn and then stopped with a gasp. A man's body was swinging from one of the large cross beams in the barn, a makeshift noose made from what looked like an old tow rope. The body didn't appear to have been there too long as the skin was showing little or no signs of putrefaction or degradation.

"We were too late to save him," said Eddie.

"Bring the drone back in Ed, there's nothing we can do here." Merryn put an arm around the teenager, who was pale and tight-lipped. "Sometimes we can only do what we can do."