You Can't Leave | John B Routledge

Word Count: 1.8 K

"John B!" I call over the loud music, making my way through the crowd in an attempt to find my boyfriend. I pass JJ, who's aggressively making out with a girl and decide to ask Kie if she knows where JB is instead. Don't want to interrupt a man at work (cue eye roll).

I hurry over to Kie and Pope, who are talking to a couple other pogues. They all smile and greet me before asking what's up. "Hey, have either of you seen Bird?" I know it's his Dad's nickname for him, but it's also mine. Big John was like a father to me up until he disappeared. It's been so difficult for both John B and I to cope, wanting to help each other through the loss but knowing the other is hurting just as much.

Both shake their heads. "Haven't seen him in a good half hour." Pope admits. "But last I saw him was by the keg, so check there?" He suggests.

I nod and call bye and thanks for the two before heading in the direction of the keg. At this point, we're probably out of beer, so I doubt he'll be there, but we'll see.

As expected, John B isn't standing at the keg, so I head to higher ground to try to spot him.

It's then that I see that he's by the water, having a conversation with Sarah Cameron's boyfriend, Topper, though it doesn't look that friendly. JJ's broken himself away from his girl of the hour and is also arguing with the Kook, looking a lot more angry than JB. I'm about to make my way over when I suddenly see my boyfriend and Topper start throwing punches. I hurry over there, knowing I'm the only one who can calm John B down at a time like this.

I stop suddenly when I see Topper drowning my boyfriend. Holy fucking shit. "Topper! Topper, let go of him!" I yell, grabbing his shirt and trying to pull him off, but it doesn't work. "JJ, help me! Do something, please!" I yell desperately. I can't let him drown him. No. Not John B. Not the love of my life.

Topper shoves me off of him, and I fall back against the sand, landing on my wrist. I shake off the pain, knowing it's not important right now, and go back to trying to save John B. I see JJ holding a gun to the back of Topper's head and my eyes widen. Fuck. Topper let's go of John B and backs off, and so does JJ.

I hear gunshots go off and mentally cuss JJ out on my head for handling the situation like this, but am thankful he managed to get Topper to let go of him. I immediately rush to John B's side and manage to catch him as he's about to fall. "Fuck. Bird? Baby, wake up, please." I whisper, running my hands through his wet hair. I don't care that I'm sitting in the ocean, sand covering my clothes and my body soaked. All that matters is that he is okay.

He finally opens his eyes, coughing up some water. "Y/N? Are you okay?" He mumbles, sitting up.

I nod, brushing his hair back from his forehead, relieved tears falling down my face. "Yeah, yeah, I'm okay. Are you okay? You scared me there for a minute." I tell him.

He nods. "Yeah. Topper's an asshole."

I giggle softly. "Yeah, he is. He tried to kill you. Are you sure you're okay?" I ask again.

He nods again, reaching up to wipe my tears. "I'm fine, baby. A little tired, and a little drunk, but that fight and almost being killed pretty much sobered me up." He admits. "Now, no more crying. I am perfectly fine, I promise. Okay, Princess?" I nod, standing and grabbing his hand to pull him up with me.

"JJ, what the hell was that?" I demand, wheeling on my best friend. I get that he was trying to help, but firing off the gun he stole? Really?

"You told me to do something! I did something!" He yells, obviously on-edge and worked up. I can tell how worried he was, and that it is what drove him to use the gun. It was the first thing he could think of, and he was scared for his best friend.