High | Rafe Cameron

Word Count: 1.5 K

"Hey," I greet Sarah, "have you seen your brother?"

She shakes her head. "No idea where he is. Haven't seen him all night." Topper calls her name and she waves at me before taking off.

I sigh. Why the hell is it so damn hard to find Rafe Cameron at his own party in his own house?

I make my way upstairs and to his room, hoping he'll be there.

The door is propped open and I hear people inside. I push it open a little and my eyes go wide at the sight. There's a line of coke on the dresser, and Rafe is leaning down and inhaling it. Fuck. He told me he was done with this shit. He promised me.

I know, I know. Why would you be with a coke user? A drug addict, a guy who beats up people whenever they piss him off, almost to death? But you don't understand. Rafe and I were together before he was ever like this. The Rafe Cameron I first dated, who I fell in love with, is still a part of him, but the drugs overrule the good parts of him. And I can't just leave him. I love him with all that I am, and I promised to stay with him and help him get through this, help him cope.

"Rafe." He quickly lifts his head, the substance left on the tip of his nose. He wipes it away, quickly standing.

"Y/N."

"You promised me, Rafe. Promised. We don't break our promises." I tell him, shaking my head. Promises are a serious thing between Rafe and I. Neither of us have ever broken one of our promises in the five years we've been together. Why would he change that now? Just for some high that will take his pain away temporarily?

"I'm so, so sorry, sweetheart. I know I promised you, and I know I broke it. I just. . ." He tugs on his hair frustratedly. "I can't deal with this. The pressure. The expectations. I'm sorry, I just couldn't do it. I couldn't." He whispers, squeezing his eyes shut.

I stand there for a moment, staring at him. I love Rafe, but I can't stand seeing him like this. His eyes are red, he's unsteady on his feet. It's been eight months since he's had any drugs. Weed, cocaine. And he threw it all away tonight. Or possibly before. Who knows, because he was keeping this from me tonight, which means he could have been before this.

"I think we need a break." I tell him.

His eyes fly open, and I can see the hurt clearly in his face. "What do you mean, you think we need a break?" He whispers.

"I can't keep doing this with you, Rafe. I love you, okay? And I can't stand to see you throwing everything away. Your future, our relationship. I can't do this, baby, I can't." I tell him, my heart breaking as I say the words. I don't want to hurt him, but I can't keep hurting myself. I love him so much, but he needs to focus on himself before me.

He shakes his head, the movement desperate. He stumbles toward me, grabbing onto the door frame for support. "Don't do this to me, sweetheart. If you really love me, you won't leave me. You won't make me go through this alone."

"I'm obviously not enough of a solution, okay? I wish being with me would convince you to stop, and maybe it will. But you can't rely on me to be there for you all the time, Rafe. You need to figure yourself out and handle your addiction on your own, without someone walking you through it. Please just try. For me, baby. And if you can show me that you care, that you're honestly trying, then we'll be done with the break."

He bites down on his bottom lip, resting his forehead against mine. "I love you, and that's why I'm doing this. I'm letting you go, but promise me you'll come back when I'm ready for you?"

I nod, cupping his cheeks. "I promise."

. . . . .

"Where can I find Barry?"

The guy points into the house, and I immediately storm into it. I don't care if it's a crack house. I'm gonna make sure he gets the message that he isn't selling to Rafe anymore. And if he does, he's going to have a lot more problems than a late payment.

I spot him on the couch, smoking a joint. I go straight up to him, grabbing him by the shirt collar and shoving my face in his. He doesn't scare me. "I swear to God, if I hear you sell to Rafe Cameron ever again, you and I are going to have a lot of personal fucking issues." I whisper harshly, glaring right into his eyes. "I don't give a fuck if you're losing profit. He's done. He's out. If he comes to you, tell him you aren't selling to him again. I don't care what it takes, but you leave him out of this." I let him go and wheel back around to leave.

"Oh, so he's sending his little country club bitch to do his dirty work now?"

And I lose it.

I'm on top of the asshole before he can think, punching him in the jaw, nose, then eye. "You disrespect me or my man again, and you're going to see a lot more bitch from me."

I let him go completely, sprinting out of the house. That's when I run into an issue.

"Y/N? What the hell?" Rafe, who looks completely sober at the moment, is pissed at seeing me at his drug dealer's house. "What the hell are you doing here?" He demands, wrapping his arm around my waist and leading me away from the house and to his bike.

"Let me explain before you freak out." I tell him. Rafe can go from 0-100 in a single second. And this is one of those times where he's likely to react before knowing the full story.

He sighs, running a hand over his hair. "Then tell me. What are you doing at the house of a drug dealer? Because you broke up with me be—"

I hold up a finger. "We are not broken up, Rafe. We are on a break." I remind him.

He smiles softly. "I know, sweetheart. You put us on a break because I was doing drugs, but now you're at my dealer's house, so that's a little hypocritical, don't you think?"

"I'm here because Barry needs to know who he can and can't mess with. Because me and my family—and that means you—are not part of that. I told him if he continued to deal to you then he would have problems, and he will. And then he called me your little bitch, so I beat the shit out of his face." I explain simply.

"He called you what?" He clenches his fists, as if doing so will prevent him from attacking Barry.

I grab his hands and slowly unclench them, pressing my hand against his cheek. "Calm, Rafe." I whisper. "You have made sure that I can protect myself, and I did. I don't need you to go all alpha on him. I handled it." I reassure him.

"I was coming to tell him that I'm done." He tells me after a few silent moments. "I'm not buying drugs anymore. You mean the world to me, Y/N, and I can't lose you. That high that I get from the drugs? It's not anywhere near the high that I get just being in your presence, being with you. I'm going to be a better man, for you, I swear. Whatever it takes to show you that I'm all in, that I love you."

I move so I can loop my arms around his neck. "And I love you. I believe you. I know you're going to work. You're going to show me just how much you care. And I love you for that, Rafe Cameron. You're not a bad man. You just have some troubles, and that's okay. I just want you talk about it, not go straight to the drugs."

He nods. "Anything for you. I swear to you, I'm done for good. Never again. And I mean it this time. More than I've ever meant anything." I can hear the seriousness in his voice, the determinedness, and I know he's going to follow through. He's going to do this for me, for his sake, for the sake of our relationship. And I love him for that.

"You're my high." He whispers and leans down to kiss me.

. . . . .

I know this isn't the best written chapter, but I hope you enjoy it anyway. Let me know what you think, who your favorite character is, and make sure to vote! I love y'all and have an amazing day ❤️