Chapter V

(5 years later: Persephone is 13)

Persephone and Luke traveled the US together for years becoming closer everyday. They made safe houses and knew where to avoid monsters. They had the best time together, they fought monsters and lived.

Luke's 14th birthday was coming up and Persephone was planning something special. It would be the last time they would see each other for a while.

"Why?" Clarisse asked.

"You'll find out" Luke responded.

Persephone had to return home. She had been away from her family for a long time. She loved being with Luke, but she wanted to see her family again. Luke knew she wouldn't stay forever, she had told him before. They had already talked about her leaving, but never the details, each day continued normally. Except each day was different, they spent more time together, they never wasted a minute. Days went by and soon it was Luke's 14th birthday.

"Come on Luke. Let's go." Persephone reached over and grabbed his hand pulling him along till they reached a fancy restaurant. The demigods who knew about the restaurant were shocked. It was a high end place, only people who had a lot of money went there. But then again, Persephone had a lot of money. It was 4:00pm and Persephone had been planning this day forever. She had gotten him a suit and she was wearing a dress.

"Do you have a reservation?" the waitress asked.

"Yes, under Jackson." The waitress looked them up on her computer before nodding. "This way." She led them to a table by the water. A table to two with menus already placed on the table was waiting for them.

"What is all this Sephie?" Luke asked.

"It's your 14th birthday. I thought we should celebrate." Aphrodite squealed in delight. A romantic dinner by candlelight. Aphrodite was in love with the setting.

"Don't worry about the price." Persephone didn't say this, but she had millions, thanks to her family who made sure they didn't have any financial problems. For the rest of the evening they ate and had mild chit chat. After dinner, they walked over to a bridge. The moon was bright in the sky and fairy lights were spread across the lampposts overhead. They stood on the bridge, both facing the same direction, Luke's arms around her waist.

"Thank you for everything Persephone. It means a lot."

"No. Don't thank me, Luke. It was my pleasure."

"I'm sorry I have to leave."

"It's okay Sephie. We'll see each other again."

"Yes, we will," Persephone answered. Together they stood underneath the moonlight as they held each other close.

After a while of silence, Luke spoke, "Sephie, close your eyes please." Persephone looked confused for a moment before slowly closing her eyes. Gently Luke turned her body around and pressed his lips to hers. At first, Persephone was shocked and didn't know what to do, this was her first kiss. But slowly she relaxed into his hold and wrapped her arms around his neck returning the kiss. Aphrodite was screaming, she loved the romance. The demigods looked at Luke shocked. He kissed her. They never could have imagined. Thalia and Annabeth looked the most surprising, the ones who thought they knew Luke the best, turned out not to know him at all. At least his true self. Percy and Poseidon were shocked. Never considered that Luke and Persephone could have become more during their time together. 

Slowly they pulled away, their foreheads rested against each other.

"That was the best birthday gift," Luke whispered. Persephone agreed. Slowly she placed her lips on his again, before pulling away.

"I will always be there Luke, even if you can't see me. I'll always be with you." Persephone reached into her pocket and pulled out a box.