Twenty-Two

When I get back to my room, Iris is sprawled across her bed reading.

I'm relieved to see her. "I thought you were with Khalil?"

She closes her book and sits on the edge of her mattress. "I came back early. I was worried about you."

I'm not expecting this, and a sudden warmth fills my chest. "I promise, I'm fine."

A look of uncertainty crosses her face. "How are you feeling?"

"Better, thank you. The Ibuprofen helped."

"Good. Mia...I have to tell you something." There's that uncertainty again. "Do you remember how I said my mum is a therapist?"

I nod and sink down on my bed, unsure if I like where this is going.

Iris gives me a guilty look. "I called her."

Panic pulls at me, and the sensation of pins and needles race over my scalp. "What about?" I ask, my breath catching in my throat.

"You, of course." She cocks her head. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you first, but I was afraid you'd say no."

"You wouldn't have been wrong."

She gives me a sad smile. "There's no reason why you have to do this on your own. You need to talk to a professional, and Mum has lots of experience with trauma and addiction."

My face grows hot, my voice too quiet. "What did you tell her?"

Her shoulders sink. "Everything."

"Everything?"

"Well, I left out the part about Ava potentially being murdered. But yes, I told her everything else."

"Fuck." I fall back into my pillow and throw my forearm over my eyes.

"Please don't hate me, I just want to help."

"I don't hate you," I say, letting out a long breath. "I'm just not sure if I'm ready."

"You know what? We don't have to talk about this now. Maybe let the idea sink in before you give me an answer."

"Sure, okay." I roll over until I'm facing her and change the subject. "So, tell me all about you and Khalil. I want to hear every juicy detail."

Iris grins. "He's amazing. So cute, and funny, and super polite. Did you notice how he grabbed you a water last night even though you said you didn't want anything?"

I can't keep the smile off my face. "I did notice."

She releases a dreamy sigh. "He kissed me on the beach."

I spring up in bed. "Get out!"

"I'm serious! And with the breeze, and the waves, and the moonlight—it was perfect."

I swallow, thinking about my own disaster of a kiss. "It sounds perfect. I'm really happy for you, Iris."

"Uh oh." She leans forward, her elbows on her knees. "What is it?"

"Nothing."

"Don't tell me nothing." Her eyes narrow as she looks me over. "There's something you're not telling me, isn't there?"

I shake my head. "No way. I am not making this about me. I want to hear about your night."

"You just did. Now, spill it, sister."

I roll my neck, trying to alleviate some of the tension. If it were possible, I'd sink into my mattress and disappear. "I did something stupid."

Her brows arch. "More stupid than trying to murder a fifth of vodka?"