Chapter Eleven

The day is finally here

The day is finally here. The carriage arrives just after breakfast. A footman helps Father with the luggage. Erik doesn't release Clara's hand, wanting to be the one who assists her into the carriage."This is so exciting," Mother says as she enters next.

My brother laughs as he helps me, and then enters himself. Father quickly joins and closes shuts the door behind him. A moment later, the carriage is moving. The driver clicks his tongue and urging to horses onward. From my place between my mother and Clara, I glance out the window at the house as it becomes part of the distance.

"Don't look so distressed," Mother says as I straight back around.

"I'm not distressed," I whisper, shaking my head. "I'm nervous."

"To be nervous means you are alert, Ariabella."I exhale, nodding. Mother pats my hand, turning her conversation to Father and Erik. Clara hooks her arm with mine, nudging my shoulder.

My heart is pounding profusely when the carriage arrives at the palace

My heart is pounding profusely when the carriage arrives at the palace. It is even more amazing than I remember. Ours is not the only carriage arriving. Surrounding the roundabout are many other carriages. Each letting off more guests. Among them, I recognize the flirtatious young woman. I remember Elias calling her Charlotte, but I am not sure I wish to remember her name.

"Welcome!"

The king is now standing at the top of the stairs. A smile on his face as he sends servants to collect guests' personal items. I recognize the two maids who tended to Mother and me during our last visit. They giggle with each other, standing behind Clara and me.

"Ariabella, I am so pleased to see you again," says King Adrian when we reach him and bow on the top stair. "And this must be the rest of your family. Would you, please, introduce them?"

"Of course, Your Majesty," I reply, formally introducing my brother, Clara, and my father.

The king greets each of them with a handshake.

"You're here."

Elias appears at the king's side, his smile is as bright as ever. He extends a friendly handshake to my father and brother, bowing slightly as they all exchange greetings. He turns to Clara and my mother. But there is something different about the way he smiles. Because when he turns to me, his gaze is more intense. More meaningful.

"Please, come in," he says, linking my hand in his arm and leading the way through the doors.

"Your highness!"

He blatantly ignores Charlotte. He does turn and wave to her in a friendly manner, but nothing more. I catch Mother's triumphant, almost smug, smile as we pass.

My family is placed in a larger suite than the one Mother and I stayed in the last time

My family is placed in a larger suite than the one Mother and I stayed in the last time. The main living space is a proper drawing room, decorated with sofas, a tea table for six people, and plush cushioned arms chairs. The diamond-shaped room gives a path to three doorways, which open to individual bedrooms of equal size.

"How does one not get lost in those halls?" Clara asks after the maids have left us.

"Maps and memorization," I reply, grinning as I approach the window.

This room is on the third floor. But a trellis of green vines decorates the outer wall.

"Or just have the prince guide you around," she adds, standing beside me. "The way he went straight to you... His favor toward you is obvious. Perhaps he intends to make a choice?"

"I honestly could not say," I lower my voice, shaking my head. "I mean... I know something. He is planning something. But I am not prepared to say anything."Clara turns me, hands on my shoulders while her mouth falls wide open.

"Answer me one thing," she whispers, glancing toward the bedroom door before looking me in the eye. "He mirrors your affections?"

"I believe he does," I reply, unable to contain my smile."And he invited your family here to make it known, didn't he?"

"Y-yes."

"Ariabella, the prince is here to see you."

We look at my mother, who is standing in the doorway with an ecstatic smile on her face.

"Don't make him wait too long," she says, clearing her throat.

Clara squeaks, bouncing in place.

"I will be right there," I say, turning on my heel and hurrying to the wardrobe. "I just need to change out of this dress."

Mother gives me a gentle push into the hallway, where Elias is pacing back and forth

Mother gives me a gentle push into the hallway, where Elias is pacing back and forth. Hands behind his back. I clear my throat, catching his attention and his smile.

"Hello," he says, reaching for my hand. "I thought we could take a walk together."

"I would be honored," I reply, dipping in a short curtsy as he kisses my knuckles.

"I won't keep her long."

"As you wish, your highness," Mother replies from behind me. "Keep her for as long as you want."

I gasp, but I have little time to tease her. Elias is already leading me up the hallway.

[words: 878]