Chapter Fourteen

"What are you doing?" I ask; my heart is pounding

"What are you doing?" I ask; my heart is pounding. My legs might give way and I'll collapse in front of all these people.

"Ariabella," Elias says, his smile as cool as the stream on a hot summer day. "A prince has many duties, one of which is to marry and produce an heir. I have spent many months trying to think of how I might find a maiden who would fit the life of a royal... I have come to know you well and I feel you hold all the qualities, and more, fitting of a wife. And future queen. Will you do me this honor of allowing me to publicly court you, as I have every intention to make you my wife?"

I am dumbfounded. I have known his intentions. I knew he was hoping to publicly announce choosing me. I knew this ball was the reason to bring me to the palace. And yet, here I am. In the midst of it happening, and I have no words.

Warmth spreads through my entire body. I blink my lids as they begin to sting with tears. I glance to Clara. Her smile is assuring, though her wide gaze might give a different impression.

"This is not quite what I expected," I say as my voice emerges from the lump in my throat. "I will be honest, I assumed you might go about this differently."

"I might have," Elias replies, nodding as he continues holding the pearl out to me. "Are you intending to give me an answer or am I to continue in my suspense?"

My laugh comes out through my nose.

"I believe I gave you my answer already."

I motioned for him to stand, which allows me to have a closer look at the pearl. It is a light shade of lavender, with a pinkish hue.

"This is the pearl I hope to have set in a ring," Elias whispers, placing it into my palm. "According to the jeweler I spoke to this morning, this color represents compassion, joy... and love."

I meet his gaze. They shine at the mention of the word. I reach out and cover his cheek in the palm of my right hand. My fingertips touch his temple, where the tattoo is hidden behind his thick hair.

"You mean to say you love me?" I whisper as Elias presses his forehead to mine.

"I thought it was obvious," he replies with a soft chuckle.

"Who can refuse a prince?" I ask, raising my voice for the people to hear.

The room fills with loud cheers of excitement. Elias lifts me from the ground, turning in a circle. Smiling, I clung to his neck, holding tight to the pearl in my hand.

 Smiling, I clung to his neck, holding tight to the pearl in my hand

I am euphoric. Thoughts seem to fail me as I sit on my bed, waiting for Elias to appear in the secret doorway. Clara is sound asleep. I've taken the liberty of checking since she knows Elias might show up.

"I thought we might stay here, tonight."

I glance up as the wall behind my opens and Elias enters. He is wearing a long night-shirt and loose trousers. His hair is tied back, his face in full view.

"Are you not worried about waking Clara?" I whisper, motioning to the bed on the opposite side of the room.

"No," he replies, his smile reflecting the silver moonlight. "I wondered... are you opposed to letting me sleep beside you? I'll leave before first light. No one would have to know I was here."

"Clara would know."

"Does that matter?"

I smile, "No."

His smile grows as he closes the wall and approaches the bedside. He bends down, cupping my cheeks. I close my eyes as his lips brush against mine. The bed dips as his pulls away. I open my eyes; Elias is tucking his legs under the blankets, patting the place beside him.

"I should have thought to wear socks," he whispers as I climb next to him and pull the covers over me. "It's might snow tonight."

"But the spring is so near," I whisper back, turning on my side. "It's supposed to grow warmer."

"Nature cannot be tamed. Besides, a little snow is not going to ruin anything."

Elias wraps his arms around me, pulling me to his chest. The motion is natural, as if he has done it a hundred times. It takes me a moment to find a comfortable position. Ultimately, I find I like my head against his chest, my arms wrapped around his torso. The gentle thumping of his heart is such a lovely sound. My own heart begins to beat the same drum. Our rhythms perfectly synced.

I happily close my eyes, but not before whispering, "Wake me before you leave."

"I will," Elias replies as I drift into a peaceful slumber.

I am woken by the sound of birds chirping. And someone giggling.

I peek an eye open. Clara is standing over me. Smiling like she has won a prize. But then I realize why. There is someone under my head. I push up and find Elias is still asleep. His arm over-top of his eyes.

"Don't tell my mother," I whisper, unsure of what to do.

"I wasn't planning on telling anyone," she whispers back, covering her mouth as her cheeks flush. "But Erik might mention it."

"What-"

"I came to see if Clara wanted to go for a walk."

I then realize Erik is standing at the foot of the bed. Is it possible to die from embarrassment?

My brother smirks, "I can tell you've done nothing but cuddle. Clara and I are just going to go exploring the palace for a bit. I will invite our parents."

He says this while grabbing Clara's hand, pulling her toward the door. I grumble softly, hiding my face in Elias' chest.

"That was interesting."

I gasp, "You're awake?"

I jolt upright, finding a very amused prince as he removes his arm and sits upright.

He chuckles, "Good morning... I could, honestly, get used to the idea of seeing you when I wake."

My embarrassment turns into bliss. I forget about getting caught, about my family in the next room. Instead of getting up and telling Elias to leave, I settle back beside him. The arms return to the way they were last night.

"I think I could get used to this too," I say, glancing up at him.

"And are you prepared to come and live at the palace?" he asks, smiling down at me. "Now that the kingdom knows you are my choice, this is the only safe place."

"What about my family? The farm?"

"Oh, you needn't worry. They can live here, too. Your family would become my family. How could I leave them to live so far away from you?"

His words bring overwhelming happiness. I scoot as close as I am able, and press my lips against his gentle ones.

[words:1175]