Midnight (Request)

I looked at the mirror seeing the reflection of my protruding stomach. My husband was coming back from war soon. I couldn't wait for him.

The grin on my face wouldn't falter for even a second. I wanted Harry to be there when we would have our baby.

I just wanted him home. One more week and he'd be home at last.

I walked away from the mirror and sat on the bed, picking up a book from my bedside table. Just as I started reading, I heard the house phone ring.

I stood up and walked to the living room.

"Hello?", I said.

"Mrs. Ruth Styles?", the voice from the other side asked.

"Yes. It's her."

"Miss, I'm sorry to inform you but your husband...", he trailed of.

My heart started beating faster, a lump forming in my throat.

"W-what about him?"

"During the war... There was a blast where the soldiers were camping. There are a few survivors but their faces are barely recognisable."

"Is- is my husband okay?", I asked as my voice quivered the same way my whole body was.

"We are not sure, ma'am. We are still rescuing them from the sight."

"When can I get information about him?", my eyes started to blur with the thought of not being able to see him again.

"We'll inform you as soon as we know."

"Okay", I said and hung up. I pushed the vase on the ground, watching it break.

I called Harry's mother.

She picked up at the first ring.

"Hello? Ruth?"

"A-Anne", I whimpered.

"Ruth? Darling, are you alright?"

"Ha-Harry. There was a blast. He- I don't- Anne they don't know if he's okay", I cried.

Anne let out a gasp.

"Ruth. Nothing will happen to him. Nothing will happen to my son", she said, her own voice shaking.

"Anne, I don't want to lose him, please. Not- I can't", I cried.

"Everything will be okay, Ruth. We'll find out soon."

That night I didn't fall asleep in the hopes I would get a call and they would tell me he is fine.

Around four in the morning, the doorbell rang. It startled me and I went to the kitchen to get a knife.

I walked slowly to the door and opened it. The figure who was standing behind the door fell on me causing me too lose a little balance.

I screamed, trying to push him away.

"Shut up, Ruth", the voice grumbled. I froze when I heard the voice.

"H-Harry?", I whispered.

"Mm. Who else?"

I pushed him away. "Y-you a-ass. You scared me!"

He chuckled, "I'm sorry, baby."

Then I remembered the phone call from earlier today.

I immediately fell into his arms, holding his face, checking for any signs of damage.

"Y-you're okay?", I asked.

"Yeah?"

"B-but they said you weren't-"

"I had to go down to the quarters that night to get ammo, Ruth. Nothing happened to me", he explained.

I hugged him, kissing him all over.

"You're okay!", I cried and new tears fell from my eyes.

He chuckled and held me tight.

He was back. He was back.

______________________

A/N:

Heyyy

I couldn't really give it a sad ending. Idk. So, I thought "hey, let's not give it a sad ending like usual".

I just wanted to give it a happy ending

Hope you all like it

Dedicated to @RuthiebeAr

Love,
S. x