CHAPTER FOUR

Calim stared at the girl as she climbed into a golden carriage. "I see that we have an extra traveling partner today." His gaze burned the back of my head as I adjusted the saddle on my horse.

"Yes."

"Are you sure you want to do this? You're making yourself responsible for a person you don't know."

My hands stilled, and my gaze dropped to my feet. "I can't leave the girl to fend for herself in that condition. It is partly my fault she has no one to take care of her right now. I won't be able to sleep at night if I abandon her while I know this."

A warm hand settled on my shoulder. "This is not your fault. The duchess made a choice. And sadly, apart from her. Other people are suffering the consequences of those actions. But it's all on her." After a couple of seconds of silence, he continued, "I don't want you to get in trouble, that's all."

"Don't worry, I will be fine." I glanced at the carriage, pleading that my words held some truth in them.

⚜⚜⚜

My fingers fidgeted with the reins of my horse the whole way to my dukedom. My fingertips tingled, and my heart threatened to burst out of my chest. I can't wait to be back home, in my room, under the covers, in my bed.

The warm, soft blanket of peace and calm settled on my shoulders when I saw the large oak trees that flanked the main road to town.

"Duchess Adelysia revealed to be working with the rebels! Taken to the capital for judgment! Read the summary of the trial on today's issue of First Light Chronicles!" Standing on a wooden crate in the plaza, the newspaper vendor announced the headlines of the day. "Good Morning, Your Grace! Here's your copy." He handed a newspaper to Calim and me as we rode past him.

"Good Morning, Tommy." I greeted the young man.

Calim looked over the first page and chuckled. "This just happened yesterday! I can't believe this! How does your father get his information so quickly, Tommyboy?" He asked the man now at our backs.

"He says it's thanks to his natural charm," Tommy shouted back.

"Well, tell him that I'm coming by your house sometime. I need some lessons on that natural charm of his! See if it gives me more luck with the ladies."

My eyes almost rolled out of their sockets. "Lord have mercy."

On the street and walkways, people bowed their heads as a greeting as we rode through the main town.

"Good Morning, Your Grace!" Some greeted.

"Nice to see you again, Duke Nubilus." Others said.

Going further into the town center, we went up the tree-lined road that leads to my estate.

A neutral stone manor, with big windows and high ceilings, sat at the very top of the hill. Overlooking the place that I have called home for the last several years. Home, the thought brought warmth to my chest.

"Your Grace!" A stable boy shouted when he saw us approaching and ran into the manor. A few minutes later, servants spilled out the front door to the polished yard.

"Welcome home, Your grace." My graying old butler greeted me when I dismounted.

"Benjamin! Good to see you again, old man!" Calim exclaimed as he hopped off his horse.

Benjamin offered him a tight smile. It made the corners of his eyes wrinkle. "Likewise, Mr. Acuma." The hinges on the carriage door squeaked behind me. Benjamin's eyes traveled in the direction of the sound and the sight that came before his eyes made his eyebrows shoot up to his hairline, "Um, Iskander."