CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

"A royal ball?" I frowned at the invitation in my hands.

"A royal ball, ooh, I've never been to a royal ball before." Said Leyla, then she snorted, "Well, obviously, Leyla. You weren't a duchess before."

A corner of my mouth lifted, amused by her monologue, and I muttered, "It's a Welcoming Ball? We already had a feast in our honor." Also. The first thing I receive from Uriel after two months of silence is an invitation to a ball? What about that traitor? Did he forget? We should have dealt with him ages ago.

"Does a king need a specific reason to throw a party?" Leyla quipped.

"You're right, especially if that king is Uriel." The words 'Welcoming Ball' seemed to jump off the page bringing forward a strange feeling that didn't seem to go away. Am I missing something here?

"Well, in any case, you should go. This is a great opportunity for you to debut into society as a married couple." Benjamin commented.

Leyla's face blanched, and with a voice full of dread, she asked, "Wait. How many people are going to be there?"

"Generals, knights and all the nobility will be there. So, hundreds, maybe even thousands." I responded, matching her sentiment.

"I'm going to call for the seamstress. We need to get you a ballgown, madam." Ignoring Leyla's protests. Benjamin walked out of the office and closed the door behind him. Signaling the finality of the conversation.

"I guess we're going then." She dropped into her seat with a drawn-out sigh.

With a mixture of dread and curiosity, I followed suit and sunk into my seat. "Yes."

After two weeks of getting ahead with work, measuring, fittings, and evening attire tailoring, we set off to the capital the day before the ball.

Decorated with the most luxurious garlands and ornaments, the palace welcomed its guests. Hundreds of carriages from nobles all over the kingdom filed at the courtyard, waiting for the approval to dismount.

"This is my worst nightmare," Leyla mumbled as she turned away from the window and looked at me with a grimace that I'm pretty sure looked exactly like mine.

"Tell me about it."

"Why must he make such a big deal about this?"

"I don't know."

"A simple banquet would have sufficed."

"Surely."

"He just wanted an excuse to throw a lavish party."

"Most probably."

With a chuckle, her eyes went back to the window. "We sound like a couple of old geezers right now."