CHAPTER FOURTEEN

I dipped my small brush in blue paint, and, with small strokes, painted the petals of the forget-me-not on my canvas.

"That's beautiful, Leyla," commented Ms. Rose, peeking at my painting. She wiped her brush on a rag and dipped it in the yellow paint.

"Thank you." I grinned.

It's been some time since I finished my studies. Ms. Rose now comes every other day to keep me company. We spend most of our time chatting and painting out in the garden. I really enjoy these little moments.

"You're getting very good at this," She painted more petals on her sunflowers.

"I have been practicing any time I have the chance. My goal is to have a few of my paintings hanging on the Manor walls." The thought of displaying my artwork on the walls of my home filled me with excitement. "Actually, I hung my first good painting in the foyer a couple of days ago." A big smile burst across my face as pride bubbled up my chest.

"Oh, I saw it. Did you paint that? Wow, I―,"

The sound of screaming came from further in the garden. Wide-eyed, Ms. Rose and I looked at each other, trying to make sense of the abrupt screeching. 

The sound was quickly followed by hurried footsteps, and Brigitte ran out from the south side of the garden, screaming, jumping, and shaking her skirt like a madwoman. "Get it off! Get it off!" 

Annie ran after her and bent at the waist various times, attempting to reach her calf. "Stop moving. If you want me to get rid of it, you have to stop screaming like a banshee."

Brigitte stopped running and tried to stay still.

Ignoring Brigitte's dramatic dry-heaving. Annie bent down, and with a leaf between her index finger and thumb, she pinched a dark spot on her calf. "It's just a slug, you big baby." She threw the small creature towards the bushes.

"Oh, like you would have reacted any different." She scowled and crossed her arms in front of her chest. "How about I get a slug and slap it on your leg and see what happens."

"Sure, if you're able to stand picking one up without throwing up first."

Brigitte pressed her lips together and glared at her. She whirled around and stiffly bowed her head, looking slightly abashed. "I apologize for the intrusion, madam."

"Oh, no worries." I bit my lips shut to hold in my laughter.

She bowed her head again, and with her back straight as a rod, she stomped back to the manor.

"I'll better leave you two to it." Annie giggled and scurried after her friend.

"Well, that was interesting," Ms. Rose quipped, pushing her glasses higher up her nose. After a moment of dumbfounded silence, we burst out laughing. After several futile attempts, she was able to catch her breath. "Have you received another letter yet?"

"No" A sudden wave of sadness washed over me as I did the final touches on my painting. "For these past few years, he has written to me every single month without fail..."

"Don't worry. You know how difficult it is to send and receive letters from the front lines. Maybe, it just got delayed a little." She patted my knee.

We painted until it got dark outside, and after saying my goodbyes to Miss. Rose, I retired to my room.

I hope he's doing okay, I thought to myself as I brushed my hair before bed. Through the mirror, I looked at the framed pressed wildflowers hanging on the wall. I couldn't help to break out in a smile as I remembered his letter from a year ago.