ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

━━ 🌹 ━━

━━ 🌹 ━━

"ᴡɪʟʟ ʏᴏᴜ ꜱᴛɪʟʟ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪ'ᴍ ɴᴏ ʟᴏɴɢᴇʀ ʏᴏᴜɴɢ ᴀɴᴅ ʙᴇᴀᴜᴛɪꜰᴜʟ? 

ᴡɪʟʟ ʏᴏᴜ ꜱᴛɪʟʟ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪ ɢᴏᴛ ɴᴏᴛʜɪɴɢ ʙᴜᴛ ᴍʏ ᴀᴄʜɪɴɢ ꜱᴏᴜʟ?" 

ʟᴀɴᴀ ᴅᴇʟ ʀᴇʏ

━━ 🌹 ━━

"Not...dead?" I repeat breathlessly, heart racing like mad beneath my chest, as the armoured hand on my shoulder shifts me a little so that I'm forced to turn slightly to see the person. 

"Are you alright, young lady?" they ask me with a deep voice, voice muffled with the helmet.

"I'm...fine," I answer the newcomer hesitantly and then force a smile on my face. "So, it looks like you're my fighting partner for this competition. My name is (Y/n/n)! What's yours, sir?"

"You can call me Silver," the Knight says as he removes his hand from my shoulder. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss (Y/n/n). I hope the two of us do well in this competition."

"Me too!" I try to say cheerfully and then swiftly turn my head around to see there are multiple stone pillars with everyone else and their fighting partners on each one. "Huh. Interesting."

"With our sixteen teams, this match can officially begin!" a Human announces from beside the first Fairy King and the Giant King. "Each pair of you will find yourself in a random arena. When another two-person team appears, they will be your first-round opponents!"

Princess (Y/n), eldest child of the Purgatorian Queen, I have waited for a very long time to speak to you.

The youngest son of the Demon King remembers you even though you have had no contact with him for over 3,000 years. 

Princess (Y/n), your mother is not dead.

Out of all times I could have found out that my best friend was hiding something from me and that my mother is still alive, it had to be right now.

I hear a loud commotion from one of the stone pillars but I ignore it, focusing solely on what I have on my mind right now; Zeldris, my mother, and the bizarre voice I heard in my head earlier.

Whoever spoke to me just now was a voice I didn't recognise, a voice I have never heard before. But the voice that I heard in my head while I was still with Zeldris sounded an awful lot like my mother's but I was too happy about being reunited with my best friend that I had just ignored it.

If my mother is still alive, this would explain why I never felt any kind of power shift when I had supposedly defeated her. As the Purgatorian Queen, I should have been able to feel all magic from every corner of the Purgatorian realm but this never happened and I had just assumed that it would take some time for this to actually happen. But now I know why this never happened.