1 - Finny | This is what happens when you pull the shoelaces of God

A/n: Hiya y'all, vampy here! Thanks for checking out my story. This one is mostly comedy with a slowburn romance, so if you're looking for a more romance-centric novel I'd recommend my book 'Idiots to Lovers' (available on my profile itsmeimthevampire ).

I am also in the process of editing this book so the first few chapters are in present tence and the unedited chapters are in past tense. But if you choose to stick around then...enjoy story! ❤️
____________

Today's the day!

What day you ask? Well, it's the day I finally get my angel's wings!

To be honest, I wasn't really expecting to graduate with the rest of my batch—'Goodness classes' are hard, okay! My magic's always been unpredictable.

We had our finals last week and the first test was to rescue a kitten from a tree. Doesn't sound too bad right? But the temporary demo wings they granted me harnessed my powers in a very different way than they were meant to. I shot through the branches and broke them all before I somehow tripped on thin air and plummeted down. I did manage to grab the kitten on my way down though, so Headmistress unenthusiastically allowed me to pass.

I got a long lecture about how I must control my powers, but it's not like I can help it! Headmistress must have a personal vendetta against me. Like, it's not my fault that I accidentally set fire to her robe while trying to light the altar candles last week....

Hear me out! Headmistress was teaching that day, and she asked me to light the altar candles on her table. Once I lit the match, I also added some finger sparkles for pizzazz. Because what would the world be without pizzazz? I admit it was a bad judgement call at the time—but that's not the point.

But my fire element magic is WAY too powerful and flame went about a foot high. It freaked me out so much that I ended up knocking over the candle. It fell on the wooden table, and the whole thing burst into flames. The lace cloth on it disintegrated into total ashes, and the whole scene was like an angry hell-fire.

But I think fast and I act fast. I pulled Headmistress's robe right off of her shoulders and jumped on the table with it to snuff out the fire....

Well, I couldn't exactly use my own clothes! Only senior angels have the fancy robe. And I did end up being the one to save the classroom.

"Angel Seraphina!"

I'm knocked out of my daydreams as I hear a booming voice right beside my eardrum. I turn to see the headmistress in question. Her brows are drawn together in an angry frown—like how they always are when she addresses me. She's glaring in a very unforgiving and un-angelic type of way. Plus, she knows I only like being called Finny—Seraphina sounds really lame! Although, it does mean 'the burning one'...which I guess is fitting.

"What in heaven have you done to your hair?" she demands, lifting a chopped-up lock between her forefinger and thumb.

"I just wanted a new look for graduation, headmistress," I groan. Running a hand through my freshly-cut locks, I mess them up even further.

Truth is, I was running really late this morning and my hairbrush got stuck in a big knot. I yanked and yanked but I just couldn't get it out. I finally grabbed a big pair of scissors and just chopped it free. I prefer it shorter anyway.

Headmistress mutters something unintelligible under her breath, pulling at my blazer in at attempt to straighten it. She grabs my forearm and drags me to the bottom of the stage. Unnecessarily hard, I might add.

All the graduating angels are lined up in a neat little queue on the left. I spot my best friend, Georgie, and give her a wave. She's right at the front of the line because graduating top of the class.