21 - Marie | My halo can double as a basketball hoop

I glanced up from my seat in the cafeteria to see Andrew and James both staring at me in horror.

Looking down at my donut, I realized that it had exploded, the chocolate filling dripping down my chin. Figures—it's a chocolate-explosion donut after all, my favourite kind.

Georgie had handed me a whole box before I left heaven; they're not available anywhere else. She asked me to share with the boys, but... I don't think I will.

The chocolate was now dripping down my neck. I hurriedly lifted an elbow to clean it off before it got on my shirt. Darn. Now all the yummy chocolate was on my elbow.

'You can't lick your elbow,' Andrew told me, ruining all my hopes and dreams.

'You can do anything you set your mind to,' I assured him.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, preparing myself for the task ahead. I was a beacon of zen relaxation and utter flexibility. I imagine myself as a rubber band, stretching to the furthest limits to get the glorious manna that my stomach required.

Turns out you really can't lick an elbow.

Well, you can't lick your OWN elbow...

'I don't want it!' Andrew exclaimed, horrified.

Oops. I must've said that out loud.

Georgie did give me a whole box though, sharing a new one would be a nice thing for me to do. And James would never get to come to heaven; he'll never know the joy of explosion donuts.

'Would you like some?' I politely inquired, low-key hoping that they'd still say no.

'Absolutely not,' James replied to my greatest relief, staring at a point below my face.

I glanced down to see that the chocolate had somehow gotten on my foot as well.

'It's not gross. It's tasty,' I said indignantly.

Even though they refused my offer, it's still the thought that counts. I felt my halo growing in the light of my new-found kindness, and I bathed in the warm glow that washed over me. Mmm. Maybe I should be kind and generous more often.

I glanced up at my large halo and realized that it was finally big enough for me to jump through. It was like a basketball hoop. I bounced lightly in my seat and my head popped up and down through the halo.

'What are you doing?' Andrew asked.

'Just bouncing for no reason.' I grinned. He couldn't see my halo, only the demon could.

Every time I got to eye-level with the halo, the whole canteen was awash in golden light. It was a cool perspective; I bounced around in a circle to see the golden canteen from every angle.

'I hope you get stuck in there,' James mumbled, low enough that the human's ears couldn't pick up on it.

'I'll stick you in there,' I muttered back.

The halo shrank as soon as the words left my mouth. Unfortunately, I was mid-jump. My head immediately got stuck in the ring.

James nearly choked as he tried to hold back his laughter. Andrew stared at me in confusion as I tried to pry the invisible object off my head.

'Are you... trying to cover your face in chocolate?' he guessed.

'No!'

I yanked as hard as I could but the halo was firmly ringed around my forehead.

'Shut up, James,' I grumbled as he stopped trying to control his laughter. The halo shrank even further and squeezed my forehead right.

'Perhaps you should try being nice,' he snickered, subtly gesturing to the ring.

'Ohh, um....' I racked my brains but I really couldn't think of a single nice thing to say.

'Is it really that hard for you?' he inquired vexatiously.

With the greatest difficulty, I had to stop myself from telling him to shut up again. I also tried not to glare.

'Is what hard?' Andrew asked, looking a little lost at the turn the conversation had taken.

'It's hard to not feel gratitude, when I look at the both of you.' I gritted my teeth at the fact that the annoying demon had to be included. 'Because you mean a lot to me.'

Thankfully, the halo loosened just enough and I managed to slip it off. I wasn't sure if it would work—I couldn't tell a lie, of course—but, I suppose I really did feel that way.

Even about James.

Both boys looked surprised at my heartfelt confession. They shuffled their chairs and cleared their throats, looking away awkwardly. Andrew was definitely flushing a little bit.

'Erm, are you having a banana?' I asked in an effort to change the topic and put them both at ease.

'Yes,' Andrew paused, 'I like bananas.'

'They're nice and pointy,' I agreed, 'Perfect for stabbing people with.'

Oops. That just slipped out. Good thing my halo was way above me by now. Anyway, it's not like I actually meant it of course—I just thought it was funny.

The halo doesn't have a sense of humour.