18 - Marie | There are no rules in hell

A/n: extra update today cause I have like 20 more saved drafts and I'm getting super impatient hehehh xP
_____________

There's a demon on Andrew's front yard!

Okay, I know technically James is also a demon; although he's really bad at his job... But right now there's another demon on Andrew's front yard!

This one was tall, blonde and smoking hot; and I mean literally smoking. Like there was smoke blowing out of his nostrils. He parted his smooth, carved lips and more fire and smoke bellowed from him like a cool dragon. A pair of pointy horns stuck out from under his platinum hair. At second glance, it was really more white than blonde. It fell around his sculpted, angular face in charming disarray.

I marched over to him and stamped on his foot. Hard.

'What are you doing here?' I rudely inquired.

'I- I'm Da-' The demon blinked and stammered in his shock of being stamped on. He tried to keep his face expressionless but his eyes still widened a fraction. They were jet-black and endless.

'I don't need a reason to be here,' he finally got out. He glared at me angrily to make up for his minor setback with the stammering.

'Two against one hardly seems fair,' I replied, lifting my chin in defiance as I pursed my lips.

'There are no rules in hell.'

His eyes narrowed and his face suddenly broke into a challenging smirk. 'Are you worried to see me here, Angel?'

'You don't scare ME,' I huffed, 'And there's nothing you can do to lead my human astray. His soul is too pure to be corrupted by the likes of you.'

'The likes of me...' the demon mused, 'Satan's children. The horned ones. That niggling voice at the back of your mind that tells you to just give in to your wrath,' he breathed out and a cloud of smoke curled in tendrils from his lips, 'Angel, do you really think any human is insusceptible to a demon's charming words? I doubt even-

'Okay, are you done?' I interrupted, 'Your face is pissing me off.'

His mouth snapped shut, and then opened and closed a few times. I resisted the urge to kick him but it was with the greatest difficulty.

'What's your problem,' I grumbled, glancing over at James to see that he was wearily watching the older demon.

'Aren't Angels supposed to be rather kind and... sweet natured?' Danyel inquired, losing his whole "look at me, I'm so scary" act.

'I'M kind,' I pointed out. 'And also sweet natured,' I added after a moment of thought.

A sly smile spread over the demon's face. 'Are you really?' His voice was sugar coated and dripping with golden honey. A layer of feigned sweetness to hide his fiery interior.

'I do rather want to kick you, however,' I muttered under my breath.

'That's very intriguing,' Danyel quirked a brow, leaning in close to catch my words. His eyes held a challenge; like he wanted me to do it.

His shirt was half open and it billowed in the wind, leaving his well-carved chest partly visible. He was wearing scandalously tight leggings that left little to the imagination. I was trying hard not to glance down.

'I wonder,' Danyel mused, 'How small would your halo shrink, Angel; if you were to keep to your violent promises?'

His clawed hand reached up to caress the edge of my glowing halo. My throat felt dry and the heat of his breath was turning to moisture on my neck. I grabbed his arm in a swift, sudden motion, twisting it tightly as I pushed him hard into the ground.

I had overestimated his strength and he toppled over easily. I had always thought that the lessons on "Demons being weak" were exaggerated upon.

In a flash, the demon was up again; his speed making up for the lack of his power. He towered over me, inches away. His forked tongue flicked out to wet his marble lips; my own felt quite dry. I couldn't look away from his pitch-black eyes. I felt like my soul was being sucked in.

The vision was sudden shattered as my own blue eyes stared right back at me. Twin orbs of fear. I blinked and took a step back, realizing that James had come between the demon and I. His arm was thrust out to the side, as if he were trying to stop Danyel from harming me. As if either of them could.

'The Angel doesn't need your protection, James,' the demon hissed through his sharp fangs, 'You know as well as I do, that we cannot match her strength.'

I was surprised he was willing to admit it. Angels are, of course, much more powerful. They're born of love; a feeling far more superior than hatred. This fact only served to fuel a demon's pride and envy. I saw it written all over Danyel's face.

But there was something else. He was intrigued.

'I know what you are.'

His voice was dangerously low and lilting, sweetly melodious. A deadly combination. He gave a knowing grin and closed the gap between us. He whispered in my ear.

'You're a bad angel.'