Chapter 4: Dusk

"Whoa, I found a shrimp!"

'A shrimp?'

You switched sides to face the straw hat boy holding a small creature.

'What an odd-looking shrimp.'

"Luffy- san, that's a scorpion!"

You tugged Ace's coat closer to your body. He offered it to you last night so you could keep yourself warm while still having your personal space. He was sprawled out, half-naked beside you on this chilly morning. Oh, how lucky he was to be a fire boy.

"Ace." You shook him.

"Not yet..." He groaned.

"Ace, wake up."

"..."

"Oh, there's food."

"Where?"

"Where?"

Not only did you wake Ace up, but you also summoned Luffy. Well, brothers, I guess.

"There's going to be a sandstorm. Brace yourselves." You said, just enough for the others to hear as well.

"Hey (Y/n), where's the food?" Luffy asked, a pout on his face. You frowned and awkwardly patted his head.

"Ace ate it."

"What?! AACCEEE!" Luffy rocketed towards his brother, both of them falling from the impact. Ace glared at you, but you ignored him.

"(Y/n)'s right. You can see it from here!" Chopper said, holding a pair of goggles. "W-Wait, it's too fast!" Chopper dropped the goggles and jumped to a sleeping Zoro, seeking shelter. In a few more seconds, dust was already flying, the sandstorm enveloping everyone.

-

"Huh. I wonder who's under here."

There was a voice that you could hear. It was Ace's; you knew it. Two feet of sand was drowning you, for heaven's sake. You wiggled your free hand for some help. Finally, someone decided to be a decent human being and hauled you up. It wasn't the cowboy, however. It was the blonde chef.

"Thank you."

He cracked a smile. "It's a pleasure to help a lady in need." He bowed before whirling off to help the blue-haired princess.

"How charming. I've never met such a gentleman before." You said in a daze. You heard a cough from beside you.

"Oh, Ace. I didn't notice you there."

"Ha ha. I get it. Don't rub it in." He mumbled. You dusted off the sand that stuck to your body, taking off Ace's coat and giving it back to him.

"Thanks for yesterday, fire boy."

Ace was about to push his coat back to you, but Vivi approached the two of you before he could.

"(Y/n)- san, we have a spare coat. I'm sorry I couldn't give it to you last night. You seemed a bit... busy." She shyly said, glancing back and forth between you and Ace.

"I would appreciate it, princess."

"I'll get it for you then. Please wait a moment!" She said before speeding off in Nami's direction. She quickly got back and handed you the folded cloth. You put it on and give your thanks. The cloak reached your ankles, as pale as the golden sand, with white wisps at the bottom that slowly faded as it went up. You rolled up the sleeves that covered even your hands.

Time to walk.

-

"Sanji! Let's have lunch!"

"Not until Vivi- chan says so."