Twenty-Five

A week or two had passed, I wasn't really sure. Time had seemed to escape me in the midst of all that was going on inside my head.

    My unusual joy had run out about a day after it came. Though it felt good at that moment, I was glad it was gone. That wasn't me. I wasn't some overjoyed person who was happy about everything all the time, I enjoyed not feeling that pressure. The need to be happy all the time. I liked being mean so people stayed away. It was who I was.

    I knew I hadn't hit rock bottom yet, and it was coming soon. I felt it would be one of the lowest lows I'd hit. I just wondered who I'd be on the other side.

I had surprised myself by visiting what I now dubbed 'the haven' most days—usually at night. It had made me feel a bit less lonely. It didn't get rid of that little emptiness in the back of my mind, but it helped a little.

    Being there and learning of the wyverns and their behaviors had given me a way to distract myself and I was grateful for it. They were such sentient creatures sometimes I convinced myself they could talk but chose not to.

I spent most of my days in my room reading different things; War tactics, fantasy novels, a bit of romance—I was surprised at how accurate some were to the worlds I'd visited. Some of the characters even reminded me of the people— friends really— I'd met there.

Feyre had rarely visited me. She had been busy lately with painting. I didn't mind, as long as she was happy.

    My family had always come above all. They were truly all I had. As much as I hated to admit it, I missed living in that hovel with them. At least we had all been together, even if at times we couldn't stand each other. I knew Feyre would always be my family. But these past weeks, I'd watched her move on more and more as I just watched.

'    I felt stuck.

    The worst part was, I knew it was going to get worse.

    I had no idea why the wingless faerie's death had thrown me for such a loop. Maybe it was because of all this change; moving to Prythian, leaving my family, my friends. Maybe I'd just snapped.

    I didn't really understand. I didn't really care to.

    I had spent today in the library reading about Prythian's various Myths; The Mother, The Cauldron, how Prythian was created, the creatures that ruled this world before Fae. The list could go on.

    It was interesting to read about. To see how different their culture was to the humans of this world. I wondered why the humans had abandoned all the gods. Maybe it was out of spite, or because of the war. I didn't think I'd find my answer in any of Tamlin's books, though.

    When night had finally struck the land, I snuck out into the Western woods once again and returned to the majestic creatures that resided there.

    I approached the dark branches that formed a giant wall around the small paradise. The branches seemed darker in the moonlight. I never really took the time to truly admire the structure. It was intimidating, any sane person would be deterred by just the height of it in general. Lucky I wasn't a sane person.

But the size of the structure also begged the question; How had no one found it before?

It was absolutely ginormous, and it was probably the least inconspicuous structure on this planet. Yet no one had seen it? Had it just not been reported? Had they not been able to get in?

I wished I could do more research, but there were too many reasons as to why I couldn't afford to. Tamlin or Lucien—Cauldron, even Feyre could see what I had been researching and begin to question it. I refused to do anything that would endanger the Wyverns more than they already were. There was also the problem of time, I could only afford to visit this place at night, and I needed to sleep sometimes.