Chapter 15: Saved

Amelia had Antony carried to one of the guest bedrooms. Advent's house was a fortress where no one could breach security. Antony would be safe there, she decided.

Mrs. Dennis quickly cleaned his wounds. Amelia wanted to summon a doctor to treat Antony's wounds, she didn't care whether they were being followed or not. All she wanted was to save Antony. But Rame objected firmly. Rame felt that if anybody knew Antony was taking shelter in Advent's house, that would put the Advents' life under risk. She stood agitated watching the unconscious Antony.

"Lady, why don't you rest in your room. I will let you know once Mr. Bennet wakes," said Mrs. Dennis.

Amelia didn't want to leave. How could she rest now? Seeing the fear in her eyes, Mrs. Dennis left her to stay by Antony's side.

"Fool!" she cursed him repeatedly.

Her eyes wandered to his bloody jacket. Curiosity got the better of her. She really wanted to know what went on between Antony and Sterling. On running her hands through his bloody jacket she found several documents and letters. It read gibberish but she didn't have to rack her brains to put two and two together.

"You have been naughty," she said to the unconscious form of Antony. "What should I do with this?" she smiled cunningly before hiding it in her dress.

The following day arrived. Antony woke up groggily not recognizing where he was. He tried to sit but stopped when he felt intense pain in the abdomen.

"You are going to open those stitches again, just lie down," commanded Amelia.

"Where am I?"

"In the magical world of Neverland," said Amelia, sarcastically.

On Antony's confused expression she added irritability, "Where else would you be after you barged into my carriage? The Advent house, of course!"

"How long have I been unconscious?"

"Knocked out for 18 hours. Foolish for maybe a little longer than that."

"Where do you think you are going?" Amelia shouted as Antony tried to get up. She caught him before he fell. Struggling under his weight she helped him back to the bed.

"If you want to die, why the hell did you get into my carriage?"

"Thanks."

"Didn't hear what you said."

Antony knew Amelia heard him clearly.

"Thank you for saving me."

"Did not really intend to, but here we are! As some one left me no choice."

"Can you bring me my jacket?"

"I sent it to the laundry."

"What!?"

"Don't worry the stuff you stole from Sterling are safe and must have already reached proper hands."

"What!?"

Antony could only shout. 'Does this boorish woman understand how crucial that information is? In the wrong hands, it could be catastrophic. I put my life on the line for this!' fear and agony filled him as he thought.

"Lady Amelia, where in the blazes are my documents?" Antony shouted with all his might.

"Don't get worked up, it's not good for your condition," she said in a placating tone.

"What do you mean 'reached proper hands'?" he asked in a deadly calm voice.

"I don't want to tell you. What makes you think I will tell you the truth just because you ask?"

Antony didn't enjoy hearing his words being repeated to him. He tried to regulate his breath and control his anger, but the vixen in front of him was only making things difficult.

Amelia laughed seeing Antony's reaction. Serves him right for pittying her, she thought.

"I will tell you everything if you answer my question truthfully," Antony negotiated.

"You go first," she prompted.

Antony glared at her, he was one step away from throttling her.

"I am a private detective. I was hired to investigate Mr. Sterling to check his credibility as a suitor for my client."

Amelia laughed, "You really do take me to be an imbecile, don't you? I thought agents in the British Intelligence were good at making up stories. Alas, you still are lacking."

Antony could only open and close his mouth in disbelief. She walked out of the room, retaining her laugh.

Before closing the door she added, "And you should really think about buying another gun, it gives you away."

Amelia giggled, the reaction on Antony's face was priceless. She had suspected Antony was not a mere land agent for his gunmanship was excellent. Her father wouldn't trust just anyone to be involved where his wife and daughter were concerned. And then, Rame didn't even question when he saw Antony was hurt.

She wanted to bait Antony, and he rose magnificently. "So you are a spy. You are not getting your documents back unless you give me answers," she mumbled as she closed the door. She walked down the hallway smiling to herself, wondering how far Antony would go to find the documents, which were indeed just inside her dresser.

Antony left home after a week, he couldn't believe the vixen had him spill the secrets before handing him the papers.

"Thank you for everything," he shook Lord Nicholas' hands.

Before Lord Nicholas could respond, Amelia forestalled irritability, "You saved me once, we are square. Just don't get inside my carriage ever again."