Chapter Two (Edited)

I had just turned the oven off, pulling out my dinner for the night, when I caught a shadow in my peripheral. Setting the hot food on top of the stove and discarding the oven mitts, I walked over toward the back door where I had noticed the shadow. I peered into the backyard, nothing but the setting sun blinding my view, until I saw the shadow yet again. Though this time when I saw the shadow, I focused on where it went and found someone trying to open one of the many windows in the back.

Was someone trying to break in? I didn't even have time to fully process what was going on because the next thing I registered was the sound of glass breaking. They really were breaking in! And with that thought, I found myself scampering off toward my room where I had left my phone and praying to the good lord above that whoever was breaking in didn't see me.

The steps to the attic were lowered but they wouldn't be for long after I climbed up. I just hoped that once I closed the attic trap door that the person breaking in wouldn't take enough time to come up to my room. They should think it's just a dingy old attic and not bother with it, right?

I was climbing up the steps and closing the hatch just as I heard footsteps echo through the house, the silent alarm most likely being tripped upon entry. I was the only one who knew how to shut it off and I was now hiding in my room. I just hoped that help would be sent soon.

Scampering toward my bed, I grabbed my phone and then padded off to my bathroom where a little cubby sat behind the door. Since the door opened and swung inward, the cubby and myself should be hidden from view. I hadn't understood why Sawyer wanted to put it in, but if he knew anything about the fact that my soulmate was the son of a mafia crime lord, then I figured he'd know I'd need it someday. And so here I was, six days after attending my soulmate's 'funeral', hiding from an intruder while my step family was away for the weekend. But I guess I should start by what happened after I left the funeral hall with my step brother.

***

Sawyer had pulled me to the car almost immediately after I stopped dead outside the closing front doors. He didn't ask for an explanation nor did he question how my soulmate was still alive. He just grabbed my wrist and guided me off to his car, opening the passenger side door for me and letting me slide in. I just did as told and slid into the seat, watching from the windshield as he rounded the front of the car to get to the driver's side and climb in.

Neither one of us said a word to one another, nor did I have the courage to speak after what I had just been through. First, I think I lost all chances of loving my soulmate while attending his funeral, only to find out that it was faked and he was really alive. But then I find out his enemy? Or was it a lover? Whoever the other person was, he was my second soulmate? I don't think I knew how to process all this, nor do I really know how to process what I'm feeling.

"Nova?" Sawyer called out to me, bringing me out of my head and making me look up at him. I hadn't even realized he had driven us far enough away to pull over safely, taking the time to look me over. "Are you alright? What happened?"

"He faked his death..." I whispered as I looked down at my hands that sat folded in my lap. "And the other man with him just happened to be my second soulmate."

My step brother didn't respond for a moment and neither did I. I had nothing to say, nothing I could say without confusing myself more. Just why did Wolfe fake his death? And who was the other to him?

Our lack of communication continued as he pulled the car back onto the road and drove us back home. About half an hour later we arrived back at our house and the first thing I did was climb up to my room and shut myself in for the rest of the night. I just curled up on my bed, arms wrapped around my left as I thought over what had happened today. I think at one point I had fallen asleep because the next thing I knew I was waking the next morning to my step mother screaming at me to wake up.