Chapter Fifteen

Henry still hadn't asked her to the dance. Maybe Charlotte's dream was coming true. Maybe he wouldn't ask her to the dance, and she could skip it to do more important things, like catching up on the books she hadn't read yet and getting ahead of the homework for the next couple of weeks. It would be perfect, and then her and Kid Danger could break up amicably because they realized that they weren't right for each other. Though that would put Ray at a disadvantage, it would make her feel so much better about her whole situation.

When she realized that she was slowly gaining real, true feelings for Henry, she had been trying to come up with a plan to sort of distance herself from him. Yes, she still wanted to be his best friend and she still wanted to work with Ray and Schwoz and Jasper. It was very fulfilling to her to keep Swellview safe, but she knew it was going to be ruined if she ever fell in love with Henry. Everything would be ruined. That was why she desperately wanted to end this plan before it got any worse. Now, she found the perfect plan, and that made her smile to herself as she walked through the hallway at school.

Unfortunately for her, there were crowds all along the hallway leading to her locker, so there was no way that she could get there in time to get to her next class. She guessed it was a good thing that she had already grabbed her book for her next class, which meant that she didn't have to shove her way through the crowds that were getting incredibly louder and louder as the seconds went by. They were excited for something. Charlotte honestly didn't care what the majority of her classmates thought because they were way too selfish about anything other than their lives or the lives of the celebrities around her. Plus, it didn't help that most of them had ostracized her from any sort of club function because of her moment in the spotlight with Jack Swagger and Kid Danger.

"Hey, Charlotte!" Charlotte turned around and saw Piper standing behind her. She frowned at her, wondering why she was in the high school area instead of the middle school area. "It's so good seeing you here."

"I guess I could say the same thing to you," Charlotte said, blinking at Piper. "But what are you doing here?"

"I'm helping a friend."

And by helping a friend, Charlotte soon found out that meant that Piper had to forcefully grab her by the arm and drag her through the crowd. People barely moved out of their way, so she was shoved into backpacks, elbows, and bodies, gaining her a few new bruises. But that didn't really matter because she suddenly found herself standing in front of the entire crowd, looking at Kid Danger, silhouetted against the glass doors.

"I've been having this recurring dream lately," Henry said as Piper shoved her to the front of the crowd, closer to Kid Danger. Her heart fell into her chest. He was asking her to the dance, she knew it. He was asking her to the dance in front of the entire school. "It's about how I always go to the dance with the most beautiful girl in the entire world, but I always wake up before I'm able to dance with her."

"What are you doing?" she whispered to him, hating how her heart thudded against her ribcage. Why in the world was he referencing the dreams they both had about each other? Why did he have to bring that up? 

"I want to make it finally come true," he continued like he hadn't heard her. "So, Char, would you like to go to the dance with me?"

Charlotte stared at him fearfully while the crowd waited with bated breath. She desperately wanted to tell him no, but there was no way she could do that in front of their classmates. That would ruin Kid Danger's reputation. Or would it make it even better because then he would have more candidates to take? Whatever it was going to be, she couldn't say no to him. Not now.

"Yes," she told him softly. His smile grew wider. "Yes, I will."

He didn't reach out and kiss her like she thought he would have. Instead, he just grabbed her hand, squeezing it tightly, while Sidney, Oliver, Jasper, and Piper approached them, each carrying a large bouquet of flowers and boxes of chocolates. She forced a smile on her face as the crowd cheered. They seemed to have forgotten about how she had betrayed their favorite sidekick and their favorite popstar.