1. THE JOB!

I jumped forward to close the distance and fell on the bomb. A few seconds to detonation but I had made up my mind long ago. I've gotta save these people.

As I cuddled it, I couldn't help but wonder what would've happened if I took that job instead?

Memories began to swarm my mind. Memories of the night that redefined everything.

* * * * * *
ONE YEAR AGO

.

-July 31st
After Grad Party
Vonclaire Hotel, New Chronos City
Not sure of the time (who keeps track at a party?)

**

"C'mon McLean, bust a move!" Aliya tugged at my arm with a drunk smile, beckoning me onto the dance floor. The flashing neon lights gave the sparkles on her pink dress a color-shifting effect.

She had just called me cute a while ago, I wasn't called cute as often as Nic so there was an urge to oblige. It's just one dance. My conscience pricked me. But I was a terrible dancer. So far, she had a great perception of me but if I attempted to boogie she might just see me as the Boogeyman.

"I'd love to, darling!" I yelled over the loud music. "But I've got to make a quick call. Have a drink while you wait?" I reached out to her with a cup of champagne.

She giggled as she took the cup. "Who'd you want to call, your girlfriend? Tell her I'm borrowing you for the night."

Gina. When will we meet again? I sighed. "I don't... have one."

She smiled and slipped her arms over my shoulders, looking into my eyes. "You can have one tonight."

That struck a chord inside me. There was no substitute for Gina. There couldn't be. Yet I was doomed to find one, though it certainly wouldn't be Aliya.

I peeled her hands off me and looked away. My tone became stern. "I really got to go."

Now wandering through the midst of sweaty bodies in motion, I began reconsidering co-hosting this party. The interview was tomorrow and--

"Hey, McLean!" A yell snapped me out of my thoughts. My eyes spotted a dude I could vaguely remember standing bare chested on a couch, fists pumping vigorously to the music. "You and Nic throw the wildest parties!"

A smile spread across my face as I pointed at him. "You know it!"

Where on Earth was Nic anyways?

Finding my way to the punch bowl, I scooped two red cups and headed out the balcony.

My guess was right. Leaning over the rails was my tall, muscular, genius buddy. His blue checkered shirt was completely unbuttoned, dancing to the wind's rhythm and his black cap was on backward.

I joined him on the rail. We were both looking over the city landscape. The party music was muffled out here and the stuffy atmosphere was replaced by the outdoor breeze. He smelled like alcohol and a mixture of perfumes. "What's tonight's body count?"

He burst into a short laugh. "What number would you believe?"

"I wasn't asking a serious question."

"Oh, I didn't--"

"Of course I was." I broke into a smile. "I'm your health mentor. Punch?" I raised the cups.

"Bro if I drink any more, my abs would explode into fat. You're doing an awesome job as mentor by the way, killer recommendation."